Flow advice please

Cool! I wonder if you'll be using the two you got, or if you could spare one for a couple of days... for the sake of science, of course, I'd be willing to try it on a 4' tank ;) :eek:

Nuno

I've got an extra one. Unused. Cindy wasn't sure about a what she wanted for them, so I need to figure out that end of the deal before I go selling them again. Otherwise how will I know what double-price is? ;)

:D I actually just wanted to try it, didn't know it was unused... I may end up buying it if it works in my tank (ie, more flow but no sandstorms) but for now I really just wanted to try it out. But I understand if you don't want me to try it because it's new, so I may just buy it and resell it later if it doesn't work for me... let me know if I can borrow it, or if not, what "double price" is ;)

Nuno

Actually I think I put the "unused one" in my tank now that I look. So if it makes you feel better you can try out the one that's got coraline algae on it. You're welcome to give it a trial. No strings attached. :D
Did you say you're headed to AA this weekend? We could meet there or you could stop by here if you want. I'm about 10 min south.

I would always be willing to buy one of these if either of you didn't want one or both. I'm not sure of my need for one right now but I've always wanted to have one to at least experiment with. :) So feel safe with any purchase you make, you will at least be able to get your money back.

NateHanson said:
Did you say you're headed to AA this weekend? We could meet there or you could stop by here if you want. I'm about 10 min south.

Yep, I'm getting some replacement cartridges for my RODI from AA (don't need to replace right away, but can't pass on the group-buy prices ;))... I believe I still have your number, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Nuno

dedfish said:
So feel safe with any purchase you make, you will at least be able to get your money back.

Cool... now I just need to know what "double price" is from Nate, so that I can sell it to you for "double-double price" in case I don't keep it... who knew penductors made such good investments! :D

Nuno

Thanks for lending me the penductor, Nate (and Cindy ;))... it's much shorter, but also a bit bulkier than what I expected... but it does give some serious flow, as I could see in Nate's tank.

Yesterday on the way home I stopped at HD to get a couple of PVC fittings to set it in the tank but I can't seem to put it in a good position... for now I want to try it on one of the closed-loop outputs (trying it on the sump return would be more work), and I want it on one of the leftmost or rightmost outputs, so that I can direct the flow lengthwise along the tank... problem is that if I just put an elbow on the bulkhead and mount the penductor to that elbow, it's too close to the back glass and the flow would be disturbed by the overflow... on the other hand, if I put it farther in the tank (with a length of PVC between the bulkhead and the elbow), it looks terrible... I need to figure out a better way to mount this... ideas?

Nuno

OK, now that I dried myself :D :rolleyes: I can report my experience with the penductor... as I mentioned above, I couldn't find a nice way to mount it to the bulkheads, but was itching to try it in the tank after seeing the flow in Nate's tank... so, what could be easier than just attaching it directly to one of the bulkheads on the back glass? I was waiting patiently for the Squirt to rotate and send water through that outlet... long minute... but when it did... wow... a little wave rushed to the front of the tank, hit the front glass, and a some water managed to splash over the lip of the tank and land on me (ok, just a few drops, but I had to make it more interesting)! And on the bottom, the sand was flying everywhere...

So this thing definitely works :D (even on a non-ressure rated pump like the T4)... now I just need to figure a good way to mount it parallel to the back glass and with enough clearance to miss the overflow.

Nuno

This is a 75 gal with 2 peductors on a closed loop run by a PanWorld PS150 which is the same as a Iwaki 55RLT. If you went with a 70RLT, better nail those snails down!
Notice the bubble fly by! Sorry for the sparse stocking, it's only a few months old.
Movie1
Movie2
Movie3
Movie4

Nuno, what if you used a 45 to attach it to the bulkhead? Then it might point forward and towards the other end of the tank? Or you could use 2 inches of spaflex to connect the 90 to the bulkhead. That might allow the elbow to bend away from the back glass enough to get the penductor to fit.

Thanks Nate, I think I'll try the 45 elbow next... the reason I didn't go with that right away was that I didn't find any threaded 45 elbows at HD (don't even know if they exist), and was trying to avoid a slip/thread adapter (which makes the whole thing even bulkier)... but I guess that's the best way to do it. Off to O'Connors :)

Nuno

I ended up getting a 3/4" 45 degree elbow, which happens to fit perfectly into the "slip" part of a 1" male adaptor... this goes into the bulkhead, and on the other end of the elbow I put a 3/4" male adapter onto which the penductor threads.

IMO it looks terrible in the tank, a large conspicuous mass of white and bright blue plastic :D but it does work wonders... the first couple of times the flow went through the penductor (once the squirt rotated to that output) the rock on the other end of the tank was blasted, there was detritus (that I couldn't see otherwise; and I do squirt the rock every now and then with a baster) flying everywhere... very cool to watch. The LPSs on that end of the tank shriveled a bit, I guess they need to get used to the increased flow.

I'm probably going to get a couple of black penductors (one for each end of the tank), which I hope will blend in better with my black background (at least until they get covered in coraline), I'll open a thread on the pooled orders forum to see if I can get other people to join in (an order of 4 or more gets free shipping)...

Nate, thank you so much for letting me borrow this and experiment in my tank. I'll bring your penductor to the meeting (or let me know if you want it before then).

Nuno

dedfish said:
No way of attaching it to loc-line?

I don't think there's a loc-line female adapter, and the penductor has a threaded end... you might be able to improvise something, including using PVC solvent to "melt" the two pieces together, but then it wouldn't be removable.

Nuno

nunofs said:
I don't think there's a loc-line female adapter, and the penductor has a threaded end... you might be able to improvise something, including using PVC solvent to "melt" the two pieces together, but then it wouldn't be removable.

Nuno

you can order the penductors in female or male threaded versions ;)

Back