Food for thought

Abrooks12376

Non-member
Have it, love it.
845c9ffc7b2e9efed2a207a0390fdb1b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Get a Honda 2000, 3000, 6500 or 7000 for emergency house power. The other cheaper brands will let you down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My monster $700 on sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have this. It has been clutch, starts on the first pull. Wouldn't bank a job site operation on it but it's great for a tank life support in a pinch.

Definitely on my priority list when I get a house, for now the air pump will have to do. Might do the diy battery backup for my mp10 as well

I have the whole house generator I think the neighbors are mad at me all I saw was a flicker and then a hum......mm for the next day and half.

Jim
Nice, that's on the list for sure. Can't beat it.

I have that exact generator... I purchased it 5+ years ago and finally used it yesterday with no issues... Fired right up. I bought the wheel kit to make it easier to use. I was running my tank, fridge, TV/bluray player and a 750-1500W portable heater with no issues for almost 12 hours...

"It's human nature to not spend the extra money for the insurance needed on a rainy day and spend all on what is desired on a sunny day."- Nicholas Liu

I've been harping on this for a very long time. How much does your tank cost? And how much did you pay for that piece of coral or fish? Just one of my angelfish is worth the money I spent on an EU2000. Just one! Think about that.
The EU2000 I paid years ago has covered its cost many times over.

"It's human nature to not spend the extra money for the insurance needed on a rainy day and spend all on what is desired on a sunny day."- Nicholas Liu

I've been harping on this for a very long time. How much does your tank cost? And how much did you pay for that piece of coral or fish? Just one of my angelfish is worth the money I spent on an EU2000. Just one! Think about that.
The EU2000 I paid years ago has covered its cost many times over.
Couldn't agree more! Imo it's a must have for any tank that you value let alone a reef tank which can go into the 5 digits! I got that generator when I set up my first couple planted fw tanks, carried up 3 flights of stairs and put it on my apt. Porch. Never needed it but it was there! The garage now is far more convenient. Brand choice... Honda is the best for sure, also 4-5x cost of champion. We have a 5000 on site, I wouldn't use anything else when it's supporting my income. I can't justify spending that on something that may not get used more than once a year. I also wouldnt completely cheap out either. It had good reviews and I can support them now. I wouldn't rely on it for income though.

8cb7cefa6ef131a9d62294b95b27b1b7.jpg

I have the 6500 version of this. Of course after purchase only put maybe 5-6 hours use on it, and this was probably 5ish years ago! Nice piece of mind for sure that I have it if needed, but I do feel bad that I barely have need for it when others frequently do!

This is what I want to upgrade to o_O Would totally run my whole house easily I have a gas stove and dryer so biggest draw would be the fridge... I'm asking my electrician and plumber how much installation costs and if they would kill the dream lol...

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphphxp0Fd.png

A whole house 11KW standby Generac hook up to natural gas from start to finish with all material and labor was quoted for me at $7500. Half of which was labor in electrical and plumber(gas).
I ended up not going with the standby Generac because
1) It's a Generac :D
2) $7500 is a lot of money for something that just sits there
3) It has to be installed pretty close to the gas line meter. Mine happens to be on the side of the house.
3) Even though it's a standby, the unit does run periodically to keep the engine lubbed up
4) Because of reason 3, the unit requires yearly maintenance even there's no power outage
5)Difficult to move with you if you move.
6)Resale value is next to nothing on these if you sell the house.

What I ended up doing was get my electrician to wire the whole house transfer switch with the 50A line and outlet box to the location I wanted outside the house. The cost was $600. I could've done it myself until I found out the new MA laws that require a license electrician to sign off the work. I grabbed the largest Honda Invertor EU7000(5500W running. 7000W surge) for $4000 and called it done.
We have natural gas everything so the generator should not have any problem keeping with the heating and everything else. The only issue I'm seeing is the AC compressor. But not having AC during a summer power outage is less of an issue than not having heat during a winter power outage.
I still have yet try hooking up the EU7000 and see what my limit is. But I figure I'll be likely running the EU2000 just for the tank itself. The EU2000 handled the tank just fine during the last power outage. I didn't turn on the MH though. :D
The downside of gasoline generator though, is that it might be hard sometime to find gas during a major power outage.

Electrician is going to be the big spend. Subpanel and wiring.. I want one now too!!

Also, if you get one of the portable gasoline generator, run it a bit and change out the factory oil and put in synthetic oil for storage. You will have a much easier time to start it next time.

I spent a lot of time researching back up power for the home.
This is a good article to read and something to think about. The Honda Inverters are expensive for a reason. The AC signal has been inverted to DC and than back to AC. Resulting a very clean signal. A conventional generator does not have the latter two circuit and the signal is what the engine sends out. If the engine runs at a constant RPM, great. But likely, it has some choppiness to it and the signal can have spikes and dips. This is very harmful to your electronics like laptop, cell phones, etc.
http://www.jkovach.net/projects/powerquality/

Also, if you get one of the portable gasoline generator, run it a bit and change out the factory oil and put in synthetic oil for storage. You will have a much easier time to start it next time.

Also if you go with a gasoline generator always use fuel stabilizer in the gas so the carb does not gum up. I also recommend starting it every few months and putting a load on it. If a generator just sits and is never used, I have heard of them losing the ability to generate powers as the stator becomes de magnetized. This article explains.
https://www.auroragenerators.com/bl...ortable-generator-that-have-no-voltage-output

Good point.
And honestly, with the storm we had back in November, I didn't think my EU2000 would start because it hasn't been touched for the past 3-4 years. To my surprise though, I put some fresh gas and cranked it 3 times and it ran like a charm.

Also if you go with a gasoline generator always use fuel stabilizer in the gas so the carb does not gum up. I also recommend starting it every few months and putting a load on it. If a generator just sits and is never used, I have heard of them losing the ability to generate powers as the stator becomes de magnetized. This article explains.
https://www.auroragenerators.com/bl...ortable-generator-that-have-no-voltage-output

Back