for those keeping SPS

reefstarter

Non-member
just watching some videos and trying to pick up pieces of info and came across a video that tells about Dragonface Pipefish . supposedly they eat redbugs Not that I have any but I am always looking for answers before I have a problem so I can act fast . The only problem I can see in keeping one of these fish is the amount of flow in an SPS tank . As for compatability with other fish I have no Idea and will be doing more reading on them to determine that . Any of you that do the same please share

Yes they eat red bugs but you pointed out the main problem..... They have a hard time with the flow. I think all to many of they meet up with a mp40 and the its curtains

Natural pest eradication don't work in captive environment. They can keep the pest in control but even that is questionable. For example, some wrasses are known to eat flatworm, but they'll never get rid of it. And the flatworm will detroy the Acros before the wrasse destroy them. I also heard of acro crabs protecting their home by eating what's on it but I never seen it worked. The most effective way is still interceptor for red bug in tank treatment and bayer for AEFW out of tank treatment.
With the discovery of Bayer dip, my acro pest headache has been nonexistent.

just watching some videos and trying to pick up pieces of info and came across a video that tells about Dragonface Pipefish . supposedly they eat redbugs Not that I have any but I am always looking for answers before I have a problem so I can act fast . The only problem I can see in keeping one of these fish is the amount of flow in an SPS tank . As for compatability with other fish I have no Idea and will be doing more reading on them to determine that . Any of you that do the same please share

I looked into getting a pair because I thought they were cool and read a little about some of them eating red bugs. Another problem to consider though is it sounds like they are hard to get onto frozen so you need to either have a large pod population or enrich brine shrimp.

I had one for about a year. Awesome little thing. He would hang out in my GSP like a snake in the grass. They will eat red bugs. I had a small issue with them and he would hang around the Acro eating them. This was in my last tank. He did fine with the flow. He would actually play in it by swimming up and getting blown across the tank and then swim down and back into it again. Then when he was done he would just go back to his normal spot.

Another good one is the blue stripe pipe. They are easier and smaller

I love em all lol wish I could build a tank big enough to keep a full size reef in ha ha . But anyway the point of this is to take "precautionary " natural measures as opposed to dumping chemicals in the tank I keep some utility fish in the tanks to keep away or in check any parasites . for the fish and I am now looking more in to creatures that will tend the corals . Acro crabs , dragnface pipefish are 2 that I have found so far . I am sure there are more

Back