For those who don't know about it: AI Vega and AI PowerPuck are on their way!!!

I think when the light meter gets straightened out u should use it and check your par readings so we can see what you are actually getting at your sand bed. And to the left and right of the light pad. The coverage may Look good but the valuable light area for your coral maybe much smaller than it looks. I know ai suggest 6 units of my tank and I am only using 3 but I also know my corals need to be placed in specific areas under those lights. I am waiting for the Vegas and I will add 2 more to my existing 3. I'm not going to try and sell my 3 and buy all Vegas but I would like a couple to expand my coverage and add the color of the vega. I would love to see some real world par numbers from your tank I you ever use the light meter.

Yeah i've already had the idea of testing with the light meter. I myself am also very interested in seeing the readings for sure. I should put myself on the list.

IF YOU GO ON aQUA iLLUMINATIONS FACEBOOK PAGE, THERE IS AN AWSOME PIC. OF THEM LOADING UP A UPS TRUCK WITH A GIANT PALLETTE OF THEM!!!!!

That pallette must be worth atleast half a million dollars. I'd be so happy to drive that forklift to load. oops Damaged bod ill just have to right it off and take one home lol

Vega Color
4 - Cree XM-L Cool White
6 - Cree XP-E Royal Blue
4 - Cree XP-E Blue
4 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Blue
1 - Cree XP-E Green
1 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Red

Vega Blue
4 - Cree XM-L Cool White
8 - Cree XP-E Royal Blue
4 - Cree XP-E Blue
4 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Blue

However i'm almost positive they'd have a UV when you order a custom Puck for an added price...
That's how they get you. Lol. "Modular! Upgradeable!" aka "Sold separately!"

Last edited:
It seems like UV will be available as an "additional" option -- i.e., you will be buying the Vega fixture with stock 'pucks', and then you can purchase additional customized pucks that can include different colors of your choice. Stock pucks that come with the fixture do not have UV.

Pricing for the customized pucks has not yet been announced.

You might find this link helpful: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/06/04/ai-powerpuck-vega-led/

Last edited:
I think they are using the osram as uv the deep blue is rated for 575 and the osram is rated at 455 the other manufactures have ratings around 410 but not as bright. So I am assuming they opted for a slightly higher rating with a close uv spectrum to gain brightness and water penatration.

I believe it was for a broader and smoother light spectrum. Plus IIRC I think I read somewhere that uv light helps the other parts of the spectrum penetrate water better or something? I swear I read that somewhere...

That"s like buying furniture off a showroom floor, then having to pay extra after delivery for the color you want. Guess they were to far behind on getting these out to make any changes. I did read further down the thread where someone had mentioned the Osram Deep blue comes close to UV spectrum. Is that the case w/them?

Yep, I believe the osrams are around 450 and uv (in terms of leds and what we refer to as uv bulbs) is 410 and 420.

So not too far off. Also 450 would give a better color and brightness to look at than the 410.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I am pretty excited. Mine will be here on Thursday.

I did some snooping on the FCC website. It looks like they are using 2.4 ghz RF to communicate to the modules. So it has good range and should work through walls well.

I like their new controller. Though making it handheld doesn't make any sense to me? I would think you'd rather set your lights how you need them and forget about it?
Any changes could be made via the fixture itself (some lights out there) or a hardwired controller. Why do we need a wireless remote to control our disco balls? Lol.
But if it's cheaper than the old controller, than kudos. STILL should of been sold with the unit though... Pay $500 for a light and then they're like oh, but you can't control it.

It's like buying a car and the steering wheel is sold separately.

Back