For those who don't know about it: AI Vega and AI PowerPuck are on their way!!!

With so many people running MH with T5 add-on, i'm thinking running LED with maybe one or two T5's added on would likely yield great results in the light spectrum.
They do sell fixtures like that. I wonder if anyone on here has one. I'm sure someone does considering the hundreds (thousands?) of members we have...

Steevareno run this combo.He has 2 ai sol,1 radion along with 2 t5.Chime in Steevareno

im shocked nobody is really discussing these lights anymore, so close to their release. They posted the anouncement on facebook on the 22nd.
Hello to all of the AI reefers and future reefers out there. The news is in and we are excited to say that we will be shipping our latest product, the AI VEGA, to our US Distributors prior to August 31, 2012. Have a great day!!!!!!!

im excited

That looks like a fun toy! I'd rather order the colors of the pucks and have them added in at the factory. Seems too expensive to buy the unit for $500 and then another $200 to choose.

Or you can get a Maxspect R420R like I did and pay $500 for something 100X better... =]

Can you please explain why the Maxspect R420R is 100x better then the Vega? Tankx

Better coverage. An actual fixture as opposed to a unit on a rail system. More LEDs for the price. Better spectrum. No reds or greens that have been shown to grow unwanted algae. And an all around better appearance. Did I mention the huge increase in amount of LEDs for the price? Oh and the controller is built in. And it comes with both legs and a hanging kit. Ai sells all three of those separate for way more money on top of an already more expensive unit.

If you need more reasons lmk.

first and foremost --

Disclaimer: I've no bias towards any one led manufacturer. We sell leds from most big manufacturers, including Ecotech, PacificSun, GHL, AIs and MaxSpects.

That being cleared, I think it is wrong to say one led is 'superior' than the other in "all ways". The R420R might be perfect for your needs, but might not necessarily be perfect for others.

You mention no reds and greens as a plus for Maxspects -- I would have to disagree with you there. Not all reds and greens are shown to increase hair algae growth. There are two spectrums of reds in leds that I'm aware of, one of which does promote algae growth while the other does not. In-fact, I firmly believe that all colors are extremely essential for your corals to retain and bring out their colors. While the corals are supposed to be able to get the red spectrum from the warm white, having the additional reds and greens won't hurt at all. PLUS, your fish would look much better when these different spectrums are in there. As a real life example, we have our Ornate Wrasses that look 'ok' under our blue and white lights. I tried on the cheap chinese led fixtures that I got, that contain red + green + uv lights, and the colors on the fish were absolutely unbelievable!

The increase in the amount of LEDs, how is that necessarily a good thing? (it's funny your brought this up, I had the exact same conversation with someone else recently) Ok, you are getting more LEDs for your money, but if they're not required, then why have them? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I don't see it as "the reason to buy one over the other".

Built in controller -- yes, I agree. AI's should have included the controller instead of skimping out. Not denying that at all.

Legs and hanging kit -- to me it's not a big deal, but I agree, AIs should have included those especially when the unit costs so much.

Better appearance -- all I'll say is, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder ;) everyone has their own taste.

One thing you didn't mention is the control. One of the biggest pros of the Vega is the 20 channel control. Compare this to 2 channel control on the R420R. While it might or might not matter to most, I feel comparing the two leds, without bringing the best points of both is not a true comparison.

I would be more than happy to do detailed un-biased comparisons for anyone once things calm down a little bit on our end. Right now I plan on comparing growth and colors with PacificSun Tritons, cheap chinese leds, and possibly AI Vega. If pocket permits, I would more than gladly add MaxSpect R420R to the bunch.

And please don't take this post personally -- I'm just trying to add to a valuable conversation.

I was looking over that razor spec page and the ai spec page and another interesting thing to note is the par reading charts. The razor only shows a 12 and 24 inch depth and the readings have a much smaller coverage area. At 24 inches the 300 to 400 reading area is only about 8 inches round the ai 300 to 400 area is about 16 inches round at 24 inches and is almost the same at 36 inches as the razor is at 24. Also it is kinda strange they use 6 different LEDs in a square pattern but only give you 2 channels of control.

I was considering the maxspect too but I know in the future I will be upgrading to a bigger tank and therefore I will need to upgrade my lighting. It's much more easier to just grab another ai sol and have it controlled under one controller. And while we are talking about controllers, the controller on the AI is "100x" better than the one that comes built it the maxspect. And on top of that, Ai is working on an app to control your fixture from your phone\computer. Look up AI director. If you think certain color LEDs direct growth to unwanted algae, you are free to just stick with the Vega blues and pick out your own pucks (customization the one thing I like about the vega)

Although the ai vega have a bunch of awesome features, I'm a kid at heart and I was sold from the cloud/lighting effect vs the $750 from ecotech. That is all.

first and foremost --

disclaimer: I've no bias towards any one led manufacturer. we sell leds from most big manufacturers, including ecotech, pacificsun, ghl, ais and maxspects.

That being cleared, i think it is wrong to say one led is 'superior' than the other in "all ways". The r420r might be perfect for your needs, but might not necessarily be perfect for others.

You mention no reds and greens as a plus for maxspects -- i would have to disagree with you there. Not all reds and greens are shown to increase hair algae growth. There are two spectrums of reds in leds that i'm aware of, one of which does promote algae growth while the other does not. In-fact, i firmly believe that all colors are extremely essential for your corals to retain and bring out their colors. While the corals are supposed to be able to get the red spectrum from the warm white, having the additional reds and greens won't hurt at all. Plus, your fish would look much better when these different spectrums are in there. As a real life example, we have our ornate wrasses that look 'ok' under our blue and white lights. I tried on the cheap chinese led fixtures that i got, that contain red + green + uv lights, and the colors on the fish were absolutely unbelievable!

The increase in the amount of leds, how is that necessarily a good thing? (it's funny your brought this up, i had the exact same conversation with someone else recently) ok, you are getting more leds for your money, but if they're not required, then why have them? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but i don't see it as "the reason to buy one over the other".

Built in controller -- yes, i agree. Ai's should have included the controller instead of skimping out. Not denying that at all.

Legs and hanging kit -- to me it's not a big deal, but i agree, ais should have included those especially when the unit costs so much.

Better appearance -- all i'll say is, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder ;) everyone has their own taste.

One thing you didn't mention is the control. One of the biggest pros of the vega is the 20 channel control. Compare this to 2 channel control on the r420r. While it might or might not matter to most, i feel comparing the two leds, without bringing the best points of both is not a true comparison.

I would be more than happy to do detailed un-biased comparisons for anyone once things calm down a little bit on our end. Right now i plan on comparing growth and colors with pacificsun tritons, cheap chinese leds, and possibly ai vega. If pocket permits, i would more than gladly add maxspect r420r to the bunch.

And please don't take this post personally -- i'm just trying to add to a valuable conversation.

owned

Not exactly. More LEDs IS better for when you need them all on. Obviously. Not to mention the spread is just fine. I don't follow the specs on the site because they seem completely inaccurate. I had this light over the frag tank at Underwater World and everything looked amazing.

Like what you want and think what you want about whatever fixtures but at the end of the day, these are cheaper and better than the disco ball AI Vega.

I for one was pleasantly suprised at the price tag. I figured a brand new led light with all those colors, and features, would have been just slightly lower than the radion. $250 less than the radion! Im all over that

Yes Vegas are $500 so it is indeed a competitor. But IMO when you factor in the added price of the hanging kit and the controller, it becomes the price of the radion anyways.

Plus, one vega over a 40 breeder wouldn't suffice, i'd need atleast two. That's $1,000 to start with. Compared to my $500 razor that is more than ample lighting for my tank.

I know it's like potato po-tah-toe, and everyone has their own opinions and likes and dislikes, and I ofcourse respect that.

I too noticed that PAR table on their site but doesnt it seem weird that the smaller unit they're saying has higher PAR?

Because I had this thing above a 2 foot deep I wanna say 3'x3' tank at Underwater World (the one with the acans and favia etc in it) and the scoly in there actual closed up a bit as did a few acans from what I can only assume was them hiding from the intense light and that was at 60% total. And all the colors popped like crazy ask Greg.

I mean it's really like anything else in this hobby, if it works for you, and you're happy with your decision, that's all that matters. What works for one guy is a polar opposite and failure for the other.

I paid 1050 total for 2 Vegas and the controller. I'm building a Diy canopy to fit them on the top. I don't like the idea of lights hanging over the water, but I'm putting them over a 90 gallon. My buddy has 2 sols over his 90 and there is no shadowing at all. You can't deny that beats the price of two radions. Echotec also charges more for their hanging kit as well. So then your talking 1700 bucks all said and done for my 90!!! As appose to 1050-1150 with a kit. Big difference. A friend of mine also has the same light u do. It is also pretty awesome. Only time will tell how nice these lights really are. How much time Is what I'm worried about. :)

Last edited:
I have been reading that maxspect website all morning trying to figure out there par and spectrum graphs. The Par graph is not comparing the differnt units it is comparing 12 and 24 inch depth. The spectrum graph (i believe this is where you saw the smaller unit out perform the larger) I think that is because the smaller unit uses twice many cool white and the larger unit has more royal blue wich while makes the tank look better I believe the royals have less spectrum. Also the other issue I see with the maxspect while it may be fine on a tank 12 inches wide would be near useless on a tank like mine that is 24 inches wide. There is no way you could put two of these units next to each other to provide the coverage you need. The par reading graph shows a 8 inch circle of 400 par at 24 inches of water...they dont even give you a 30 or 36 inch depth reading. This would give you a couple of circles in which you can place your high light demanding corals. The size of the unit would greatly reduce your ability to have good coverage at the sand bed where as a radion and ai unit while costly to cover a large tank at least still gives you the option.

My one 27" unit covers the 36x18x16 perfect though so the light spread is better than you'd read online. Idk I feel like what they advertise, amd what I got are two very different things. But in a good way for me. And yes AI is for sure a better deal than radion imo as well. I'm sure some will disagree with us. Are you hanging it in your canopy still or maybe making a mount?

I'm actually going to Build a canopy that the lights can sit on top of with a removable front so when I need to work inside the tank I just have to lift up the front door and slide the canopy back and forth

Back