Found yet another sponge in my tank ,

reefstarter

Non-member
I knew I had some white "pineapple" sponges but I just pulled a coral out to swap it and on the back of it was a purple sponge . I noticed it before taking it out of the water and kept it submerged . Now I wonder if anyone can help me identify it . I'll try and get some pics of it later

Man if you try to identify every sponge you find in your tank from here on out. You'll be searching sponges for the rest of your life! ;) lol
From what I know there's millions of different typ, colors, shapes and sizes proper I.d. is sometimes easy (pineapple) and other times very hard.
Any sponge growth is normally a great sign of a healthy system and I've read some great articles talking about healthy reefs and sponges going hand and hand. Be happy for any new sponge growth!
Except this one!!! Lol
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...RMHjdhs7fTfHx2yuQ&sig2=aGboLheSDwpiYNY7RjtSPQ

That's kind of what I thought just curious what kind is all and am not sure if any can release chemicals in to tank . Thank you

Sponges generally absorb things, not release them. ;) AFAIK they're always a good thing.
I've got pineapple, neon cactus, black flat, white ball, greenish black puffy flats, all sorts of colors and growth patterns in my 16g.
I say let it grow!

Back