Fuge or not to fuge.....

ceige

always wet hands.....
So my sump/fuge combo has a leak (at least it is very slow). My Fuge is about 5 gals in total volume in the center of the 20 gal sump. If I go down to using just a straight sump, will having no fuge give me any ill effects on my tank that has had this on? Is it worth keeping such a small fuge? Ahhhh what to do?.I like the fact that I can keep pods and cheto down there and a DSP but is the size actually giving me any benefits? :confused: :confused: I have a 30 display?

tks for your advice?

ceige said:
If I go down to using just a straight sump, will having no fuge give me any ill effects on my tank that has had this on.
If you do not have a large nutrient build up in your tank you should be fine. If you have a nutrient problem you may have algae issue's in the tank.

A 5g fuge on a 30g display is not that small, it's large enough to make a difference... maybe not due to the DSB (small footprint), but growing macroalgae should have a positive impact on your nitrates (besides helping increase the pod population, as you said). I would try to keep the fuge, if at all possible.

Nuno

It does not grow super fast but I only have a CF shop bulb on it right now...looking to upgrade that as we speak......I "prune" it about once a month to insure it stay's fluffy...

If you only have to prune it once a month you shouldn't have a problem without a fuge. Maybe do water change's a little more frequent(might not even need that).

I think a fuge is one of the greatest benefits a tank can have. I saw great improvements on coral growth, water clarity, and nusiance algaes in my last tank (also a 30g) when I added an ~8g fuge. On my current 65g tank I have very limited stand space, so I've only got about a 5g fuge with 65w PC lighting, but I would never choose to go without a fuge if I ever had the option.

Nuno's probably right that the DSB isn't big enough to have a large effect, but growing macro and harboring other biological critters in the fuge is plenty reason to me to keep even a small one.

That's my 2c. I guess I'm a bit of a 'fuge enthusiast.

Nate

Last edited:
FWIW, I am sometimes more excited about my refugium than I am about my display :) I've even gone as far as documenting the many, many forms of life in it. Every day I find something new and unusual. Even more exciting is seeing how all the individual components of my system grow closer and closer to replicating an ecosystem. I too have noticed a huge difference in water clarity, coral growth, and control of nutrients since adding in my fuge. I also have a pod farm that has, for the most part, replenished the display and keeps my mandarin happy!

Just to show you how crazy I am, I have a 10 gallon tank, stocked with terrestrial hermit crabs as part of my "display" in the basement. Eventually, the cabinetry will house all of the displays/fuges etc. in a way that there will be a tidal zone, reef crest, and shoreline display.

I know...I'm lost!

D

JustDavidP said:
I know...I'm lost!
Could be ;), A fuge is one of the coolest part's of some people's reef tank's and usually my favorite part, but is not needed...

NateHanson said:
But it serves a purpose, right? (I'm going to chase you around until I understand your point! :))
Yes, they do serve a purpose. To mask the nutrient build up in your tank :D lol j/k...

IMO I just think it is better to remove nutrient's before they have time to break down and become food for algae. I am also going for a complete sps system.

I keep forgetting wich thread i'm in... :D

Back