Fuge question...

smcnally

Tankless
When I set up my new sump I made a small fuge in it. It holds about 1.5 to 2 gallons of water and has some sand, a fist sized rock, and some Chaeto. I what I did when I caulked it to the glass was just caulked a "Dotted line" along each seem to creat a low flow from side to side. It works really well, but I wonder if it is too slow. I have a good amount of life in it from pods, to bristle worms, to baby cukes. But, it is starting to get "thick looking" kinda stagnant looking. Is this how a fuge should be? Or should I put an airstone or tiny pump in it to circulate ie some more?

I keep the flow, to and from my fuge, very slow. I have 2 powerheads in the fuge to keep water moving inside the tank. My thinking is, the water needs time inside the fuge to allow the macro algeas time to absorb the nutrients. The water needs to be circulated inside the fuge to allow contact with the macro algea and to prevent detrius build up. I grow cheato, wich is known to have a layer of cyano bacteria cover the top. Since I started using the powerheads I haven't had any cyano.

Darren has it right...

My sumpfugium was real slow too. I like slow, but didn't like the cyano and other issues with a slow fuge. I put in a small MiniJet 404 and keep the water moving. MUCH better.

Back