FYI for catching fish

skyedolphan

Non-member
Just an FYI I had read about this previously and since the episode with the coral eating wrasse I decided to give it a try.
I started feeding once a week in a specimen container with a turkey baster while i was holding it. The idea behind it is to get the fish to associate the container with food therefore they would not run from it. and if you ever needed a fish out it would be easy.. Today was the first time I used to it capture a fish as I needed my old cleaner wrasse out of the 240 if I wanted to give the hawaiian a chance to survive. it took literally under 20 seconds to remove the old cleaner. he is now settling in downstairs ;)
thought I would pass the experience along.

net feeding

i feed with a net at least once a week ican catch any fish in my tank at any time accept my purple dotty back .my yellow tang and foxface will actually lay in net to feed i recently caught my redlip blenny:mad:(mean fish little man syndrome) by just putting food in net and using powerhead flow to keep food in and net open great habit to keep

Works well with fish traps too. Once they get accustomed to seeing the trap left in the tank they just associate it with another piece of equipment in the tank. So to catch a fish that is a problem in the tank cut back on feeding to where they are so hungry they'd associate the trap as a feeding station. Extend a hose into the trap so not to disturb the trap and feed with a turkey baster. Eventually in time the stubborn fish will get hungry enough to feed in the trap.

I need to catch a sallie lightfoot, cant seem to get it in the fish trap.
Sorry Dawn dont mean to hijack thread:)

I've caught some big fish this way before. I have a big clear thin plastic jar that works great for this. Works the best when the fish are really hungry of course.

dont worry about it Crib wish I could help but I am clueless with crabs.
I have done it with the fish trap also although I do not like the idea of leaving my large trap in the tank ( very unsightly) at least with the specimen container once a week during one of the four daily feedings they get accustomed to it without something large int the tank and it was a very quik out for the fish. although it was funny as I had to "pour" 3 chromis' , white cheek tang, fairy wrasse and tamarin back into the tank.

Back