General rule with Anthias

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
As someone who’s never kept them before. I went to the store and I was gonna buy a couple. I was told that you should have “at least” a 3-1 female to male radio. He only had 2 females and 1 male and I grabbed them. I have a lot of rock work in my tank so I’m not concerned initially. I have every intention of purchasing 2 more females in the next week or so.
Right now, the two females seem to be hiding most of the day and the male is always out. Do you think that will change with adding more females??
I guess I’m wondering what others experiences are with these fish.

What kind of anthias?
Honestly, not a clue. Wasn’t a question I thought I had to ask. I could find out if necessary.
But that goes along the line of the same question, does it matter what kind? Can the different kinds not be mixed??

If you got them at Sea Creature they are Indian Ocean Lyretails. And all Anthias are shy at first. They will eventually come out. Some take longer to adjust to our lighting. Wouldn't have mattered if you only got 2 or 20. Always best to have 1 male to several females. Or all females and 1 will turn into a male. Not recommended to mix anthias but the red fairy anthias seems to mix well with all anthias. Anthias always just do best if they are the only anthias in the tank and it should be a big one as they grew pretty big and need swimming space. In the wild they are eating all day and people will say that they need to be fed multiple times a day but my anthias eat 2 times a day... the same as all my other fish.

Agreed, I have these IO lyretails and they eat with my other fish, 1-2 times a day so they’ll adjust. I started with 6 females, had two males turn (gave one away) and now I have 1 male and two females. Quite pleasant fish if you ask me.

I have 4 lyretail anthias... they were super shy at the beginning... I didn't even think they were eating... I kept them in QT until they gained confidence and starting eating - 3 weeks. I added them to my DT and after a few weeks they really turned into the centerpiece. 1 male / 3 females. I think the male is the most beautiful fish I have ever owned. He is stunning!

Are they out of Qt yet
Unfortunately this time it didn’t work out for me. The male and one of the females went at it fora while eventually they both took a toll on each other. Lost both of them. Was left with just one female

Back