Generator FYI

marco67

Smart is.. a box of rocks
BRS Member
I'm just doing a "dry run" with the generator in prep for the flurries tonight.
I use mag 5s in some of the tanks for water movement bbdrrrddbbbddb (best raspberry noise I know how to spell) they just sit their and shake. Maybe that square wave vs sine wave issue ?
So anyhow anyone running a mag as a main return might want to double check....
FWiW
Marc

My Generator is on the fritz....going to need some repair I think
Had a moisture problem at the last house in the basement (actually just a crawl space).
The starter rope didn't feed back when I pulled it :(

thats an easy fix dave.. I had a motor on a chipper that used to do that and i would have to stick a pencil or something in the litle slats and wind the thing up manually after each pull! Luckily it started in a couple.. Eventually the entire thing just ripped off!

Makita G5711R
40A @ 120v
Not and issue for me all my sequence pumps run perfect on it.
I just thought the info may be of use to someone else.

all set and ready to go. fresh gas and trial starts. anyone have a good "no power" alarm advise? I always fear I'll sleep right through the power failure. Mark, whats the best option to wake us?

Stress Ed Stress
You mean everyone dosen't wake up 3X a night thinking about work ?

marco67 said:
I'm just doing a "dry run" with the generator in prep for the flurries tonight.
I use mag 5s in some of the tanks for water movement bbdrrrddbbbddb (best raspberry noise I know how to spell) they just sit their and shake. Maybe that square wave vs sine wave issue ?
So anyhow anyone running a mag as a main return might want to double check....
FWiW
Marc

My Mag drives don't run well on UPS either. I think the UPS/Generators don't duplicate the AC "wave" well either.

Yaktop said:
all set and ready to go. fresh gas and trial starts. anyone have a good "no power" alarm advise? I always fear I'll sleep right through the power failure. Mark, whats the best option to wake us?
put something in your bedroom on a UPS(see dz6t's equipment for sale post) they make an alarm when they are used. It will keep your alarm clock good through a power blink as an added bonous.

I just tried my Mag 7 return pump on a new marine 700 watt inverter I just purchased (running off my truck) works great, I should be able to run that and a heater if the power goes.

Jim

I always fear I'll sleep right through the power failure.

i have a battery backup on computer that beeps when the power goes out thats my alarm then i gotta dig out the generator

Yaktop said:
Aquaman lives :D
From the depths!!

I have a honda eu 1000 if needed.........I don't think there will be a problem. Maybe I shouldn't say that......Tonights forcast calls for gusts to 60mph for us & 75 for you Marc. :eek:

Last edited:
Just grabbed a 5550 watt generator at Home Depot...they had a ton of generators!Everyone's buying snowblowers, so they'll have a clean path to the frozen pipes and house with no heat! Started first pull...I am ready!

Took the battery backup for a PC that is normally hooked up to a Tunze 6100 that has a really loud alarm when power goes out and put it beside my bed. So when that goes off i have to roll the generator out under the deck and fire it up.

Back