Getting rid of Mushrooms

smpross

Non-member
Hi all,
I am in the process of moving from a softy tank to an SPS / LPS tank. It is going well. However, I have some very nice rocks with some mushrooms on it. How can I easily remove the mushrooms without removing the rock. I have already glued some SPS to the other part of the rock. Is there a fish that will only eat mushrooms? Most of the mushrooms are red/blue/green and a couple are the fuzzy mushrooms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
:)

A sharp razor blade. Slice from the base. But be very thorough, Mushrooms can and will grow back.

trade the mushroom rocks for "clean" live rock or a high quality dry rock....

The best way I found to remove them is rather easy...

Do a water change and remove the water below the mushroom... they then tighten up rather firmly... use a rounded knife and dig just below the base and start peeling them up. Do not scrape them off - they will grow back.

The trick is to peel them up and without the water it is very easy.. they do get a little slimy though.

Gently prying them off with a razor blade. They can grow back from a tiny piece left on the rock. I'd pry them off and apply a thick kalk paste, to kill any leftovers.

Well, I had to take a slightly different approach. There was just no peeling the green fuzzy mushroom from the rock. So I ended up scraping it off the rock. THis was messy so I siphoned up all of the pieces that were coming off. I then ended with the kalk paste. Hopefully any other mushrooms that I see in areas that I do not want them can just be killed with kalk paste.

Thanks.

Scott

trade the mushroom rocks for "clean" live rock or a high quality dry rock....

best way, or nuke the tank :rolleyes: . mushrooms, and polyps are are PIA and can be a constant pain. depending on how many you have, how pourous the rock is, and how much patience you have will dictate how well you get rid of them.

It is not that they are growning out of control. I am just moving on to newer corals and I would like to keep the rock.

Scott

It looks like one more dose of Kalk paste on some missed areas should get rid of the remnants.

Scott

You're not remove them and throw them away, right? I am sure some members will buy loose nice mushrooms. I myself would like to get some ultra bright red mushrooms :D.

The problem is that I want to keep the rock and the mushrooms did not come off is good shape. They were in really bad shape. I am sure tha tyou can find someone with Mushrooms that is willing to sell them for cheap.

Scott

Kind of sad to be killing them off. I'm sure there's plenty of members that will come over and help remove them and offer them a good home.

I did the best that I could, but because of the way they were on the rock, there was no way of getting to them without destroying the hard corals. I would have much perferred to sell them!

Scott

Back