GFO or Biopellet ?

uhupong

BRS Member
Thinking of setting up either gfo or Biopellet reactor to do heavy in/out bioload. I currently have refugium and dosing carbon but it just not enough to control phosphate which spike to 0.16 ppm.

Opinions on GFO vs Biopellets please.

Thx!

There’s no vs between the two. They do two different functions. If you don’t know how they work or what they do, it’s better off not using them.
GFO for PO4 reduction
Biopellet for NO3 reduction

Thinking of setting up either gfo or Biopellet reactor to do heavy in/out bioload. I currently have refugium and dosing carbon but it just not enough to control phosphate which spike to 0.16 ppm.

Opinions on GFO vs Biopellets please.

Thx!

Does your display tank have visible problem algae? IMO a 0.16 phosphate reading isn't anything to worry about if the tank looks nice and doesn't have problem algae. If your fuge is keeping the DT clean personally I would spend the money on something else...

I changed my entire tank water thru multiple water changes over 3 week period and it never lowered my NO3 and PO4 any noticeable amount. 210 gallon tank.

Something is off with your testing method and/or test kit. Water change is the most effective way to reduce nutrients. Now, if you have something(rocks) that is leaching PO4. That's a different topic. But don't tell me your tank water PO4 is 0.50ppm and after a 50% water change, the PO4 is not close to 0.25ppm.

Back