Glass top for tank? Anything special I should know?

twiddledog

Non-member
I am debating whether to get a glass top made for my 72 bow front. I know they sell stock ones but I need a custom because of my light brackets.

Is there anything i should know before having them made? Should they be a special type of glass? Thickness? Would acrylic work?

Acrylic frogs over time with stong light ... any thing over a inch glass companys are cheap and with template can do curves cheap so 2 pieces would be awesome dont do the hinge in my experience...

I had a stock cover for my 29. I removed it due to constant salt buildup.. was cleaning it all the time as it was blocking light loving corals/anemones. Switched to eggcrate. It works, but is somewhat ugly. The new tank will have 1/4" mesh screen and a canopy for the lights. If I ever set up a freshwater tank with the 29, I'll probably use the glass top.

I have eggcrate now but I think it blocks a lot of light. I wanted to do mesh but I don't how to make a frame for the mesh fit the bow front.

I have covers for the 72 bowfront if your interested in buying them. shoot me a pm if your interested.

John

Back