Goby stuck in a rock

76hudson

BRS Member
Happy Snow Storm,

I have a small goby - 2" tops - that has taken up residence in the center of a 10lb piece of LR. The hole is about the size of a quarter and he completely disappears when inside. I actually thought he died and the CuC got him but he was actually in the rock when i lifted it to look for him.

I want to move him to another tank but don't want to take the rock with him due to pests. Any tips on getting him out? He's lightening fast.

He can get out whenever he wants, I just can't catch him. He shoots me a dirty look and darts back inside. I'll try to get a pic.

Throw in some food and try snagging the rock while he's out. Bought a goby from a fellow reefer and yes, he came with a rock!

If you can take the rock out try this:

1) Fill a bucket or something with water from the tank
2) Grab the rock
3) Hold/place the rock over the water in the bucket, ideally close or just above the water line, with the goby's hole facing down
4) Shake the rock/coach it out
5) Wait

I had to do something like this to catch some of the smaller guys when I broke down my tank.

You could try breaking the rock up too, but I'd be worried you'd squish the fish. :)

There's a plan! I'll try it tomorrow and report back. Little guy has a snow storm shakin coming his way.

Back