Going from JBJ 12 Nano to 29G w/ 20L sump - looking for advice

76hudson

BRS Member
Hi Folks,

As the subject line says, I'm about to jump up from a 12G Nano to a 29G with 20L sump, and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. I'm looking for any and all opinions and advice on steps I should take. The nano currently has approx. 10-15lbs of live rock and is cycled, a chromis, a small cleanup crew, and a condy anemone that dominates the tank.

Can I just fill the new setup with new salt water (minus the volume of the nano) and then add everything to the new tank? Any potential problems?

Should I go with a deep sand bed in the sump/refug? I'd rather not have one in the display. Is it worth it or should I just go LR, chaeto, etc. I'm thinking 1" to 2" reef flakes in the display.

If I add dry rock, will it create problems with cycling? What do I need to do to avoid problems with my small amount of livestock?

Any and all brainstorms you can throw out there are greatly appreciated. Googled 'How to upgrade tank' and got a lot of World of Warcraft.

Thanks in advance.

gw

Hi Folks,

As the subject line says, I'm about to jump up from a 12G Nano to a 29G with 20L sump, and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. I'm looking for any and all opinions and advice on steps I should take. The nano currently has approx. 10-15lbs of live rock and is cycled, a chromis, a small cleanup crew, and a condy anemone that dominates the tank.

Can I just fill the new setup with new salt water (minus the volume of the nano) and then add everything to the new tank? Any potential problems?

Should I go with a deep sand bed in the sump/refug? I'd rather not have one in the display. Is it worth it or should I just go LR, chaeto, etc. I'm thinking 1" to 2" reef flakes in the display.

If I add dry rock, will it create problems with cycling? What do I need to do to avoid problems with my small amount of livestock?

Any and all brainstorms you can throw out there are greatly appreciated. Googled 'How to upgrade tank' and got a lot of World of Warcraft.

Thanks in advance.

gw

I had all my live rock (120Lbs), with 50 snail and 10 crabs, in a tub with pumps, lights and water. It was a 25 gallon tub. (while I was building my main tank)
I saw a few deals on zoas so I bought them as well as some mushrooms and threw them in th tub under the light.

As soon as I completed my 70 gallon set up I moved everything in there with 100% new water.

the Zoas and mushrooms didnt die, the snails and crabs didnt die. The sand in the new set up was dry black sand, not live sand.

A week later I threw in 3 more zoas, a torch and a pipe organ.

I didnt have any issues. All my rock was full of bacteria.

Ok, that's probably the route I'll go then, thanks. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Back