Goniopora (Flowe Pot) Care, Advice, Feeding

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I recently picked up a flower pot coral. I know they dont live too long but i think they are nice looking and worth a shot to try. I did some research and found that my species is the Goniopora stokesi.

What im looking for is what is the best food to feed this coral i found many different options such as Hikari Frozen Rotifers, Liquid Life Plankton w/ Cyclop-eeze, Cyclop-eeze, Cyclop-eeze juice, Food mixtures, DT's Oyster eggs. Looking for the most effective food to keep one as healty as possible and for as long a possible.

Also whats the best way to target feed these corals?

Does anyone have any pics of healthy goniopora and also some pics of ones that are starting to die off so i know what i am looking for and be able to tell how mine is doing.

Heres a few pics of the coral its only been in the tank for a day. It seems to be doing fine (for now).
coral004.jpg

coral002.jpg

coral001.jpg

I just got an alveopora from Armando so basically I am wondering the same stuff aswell
Duds

someone must be able to help us out. Forgot to mention in the day that i have had it i fed it a mixture of frozen brine and phytoplex. It looked as if it ate it but dont know if this is the best method for feeding it.

wow thanks for the link that basicly gave me my answers to my questions
Thanks
Duds

I believe mine is pretty healthy robb straight from Armando's tank and great polyps extension, came out within the first hour in the tank
Duds

Duds said:
I believe mine is pretty healthy robb straight from Armando's tank and great polyps extension, came out within the first hour in the tank
Duds

yeah so didnt mine open up within an hour i just want to know what a unhealthy one looks like so i could just prepared just in case.

MAReefer1 said:
I have a green goniopora just like yours, I target feed it with plankton.

is that all you use? how often do you feed it and hows it doing.

By the way whats everyone using for lights for them.

liquid life is a grea tthing to use. I use DTs and cyclopeez for my goni and alveopora (alve is bleached and i still dont know why)

I am running 2*65 watt pcs right now, and upgrading to 2*70 watt mh hqi
Duds

I've had a red goni for about a year. I don't target feed it anything. Whatever the fish don't eat or poop out...that's what the goni gets. It's about mid way up my tank (30" deep) and right under a 250w MH. It's very healthy.

FWIW, I believe Justin is to be a featured speaker at an upcoming meeting (end of July)....see...we get all the cool speakers in!

Duds the coral looks good on your tank. I kept it in medium flow medium-to-low light. I've fed it with the goni-mush (see below) ocasionally but I was also doing well without feeding before.

About gonioporas, I have little experience but there seems to be good information on http://www.goniopora.org/

This is my Goni which is actually green, 2 years old.
You can just make out the female's head and tail, just below the male. I don't feed it anything extra.

Attachments

• 60goniperc.jpg
    60goniperc.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 162
thank you armando and liquid, I will definately check that goni mush out
Thanks
Duds

Back