Good first CuC also to eat hair algae?

qazplm25

Non-member
whats a great first clean up crew. i am starting to get hair algae to so I was wondering if their was a CuC that would eat that too. not to much into crabs, into shrimps, and the only other CUC is snails right so i guess that.
bring the suggestions on.
btw its a 10g tank

Most people just use snails and hermit crabs (the small ones). Some urchins will eat hair algae also, but sometimes they eat a lot of coralline algae which on the start up of a tank you kind of want to encourge the growth of.

I was confused by 'CUC;' at first also. I thought you were referring to a cucumber, which some abbreviate cuc.

If you decide to get an urchin, I would suggest you stay away from pencil urchins. They are agressive algea eaters, but, if there is algea on the cord of something thats in your tank (i.e. heater, powerhead, etc...) It will chew right through the wire.

I would suggest getting a sand sifting star, a brittle and a seprent, perhaps a cleaner shrimp. Snails are good to have, mexican turbos do a good job or cleaning the glass.

whats a good cleaner shrimp? are peppermints cleaner shrimp?
also, my friend has some small starfish he got from his liverock that are about 1 or 2 inches long. could i put these in too, or would snails bother it?

whats a good cleaner shrimp? are peppermints cleaner shrimp?
also, my friend has some small starfish he got from his liverock that are about 1 or 2 inches long. could i put these in too, or would snails bother it?

Stafish need to be put in tanks that have alot of time behind them. I put one in my month old nano(then) and he passed.

ok. thanks for the tips! if this matters the star fish isnt a brittle star its the kind that kinda looks like a star. like the kind kids think of.

I would suggest getting a sand sifting star, a brittle and a seprent, perhaps a cleaner shrimp. Snails are good to have, mexican turbos do a good job or cleaning the glass.
I would stay away from sand sifting stars. It is questionable if they should be added to large tanks because they can decimate the fauna found in the sand bed. These stars should only be added to established tanks and a 10 gallon is extremely small. I would say you would want more like 100 gallons. If this is the type of star that you have already I would suggest getting rid of it.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=572

I would suggest going with a few astrea and cerith snails, a few blue or red legged hermits, and maybe half a dozen nassarius snails. Beware if you add snails and hermits, you will occasinally find a hermit kill a snail for it's shells. This can be minimized by having extra shells in the tank. I never really had any issues with this but have heard it can be a problem.

wow, thanks everyone!
well, now my tank is 24 days old and the other thing ive ever added was the LR on day one.
I am pretty sure i have waited long enough, as some people add their clean up crew on day 10 or even earlier.
Will any1 be able to sell/give/request a good place to get these?
i think they might have snails at tropic isle but i prefer not to buy there....

sally light foots are cool, but you dont like crabbs.
sea hare but they ink
try ibfishstore
they have cheep snails

aquarium gallery is great.
can someone please tell me if this is good?
can i get peppermint shrimp now or does that come later after cuc?

Hermit Crab – Scarlet $2
maybe, Peppermint Shrimp $3.50x2
Astrea Snail $.60x4?
thanks for quick responses

Back