Got Interceptor ??

Mike A

BRS Member
Well, the red bugs are back.

Before I go online to petmeds.com, I wanted to ask if anyone had some laying around that they would be willing to sell to me.

Abbyroad said she could get it I think, she works at a vets office.
Also I have heard people say just going into the local vet and explaining what it is for they have had luck getting it that way.

Thanks Ray. I have a dog, but my vet doesn't have normally carry Interceptor. I was hoping someone might have leftover doses or some laying around.

I have a couple of tabs left over. how big a system are you dosing? I'm getting together with a couple of new reefers sunday night around 7 if you wanted to stop over. I'm in Sudbury, near where we had the meeting at the mansion.

jk

jimmyj, Thank you very much for the offer.

The system is about 250 total gallons. I used over three tabs the last time.

I'm going to go ahead and order it online. My vet will approve the prescription. So far, the mites don't appear to be causing any problems. I am sure they were reintroduced very recently.

3 tabs for 250 gallons! Man I am going to stock up on this and make sure I treat everything going into my system. My total system after I set up my fuge will be around 325-340 gallons and dont want to treat all that. What are the water changes like when you treat? Do you do 50% changes? More or less?
thanks
Ray

I probably changed about 50 gallons between each of the three treatments, when I used the Interceptor the last time. So that's about 20% for me.

For those that have sps systems, one word of advice - QUARANTINE.
I have a quarantine tank, and chose not to use it when I added the last corals to my tank. Dumb decision, and now as if this hobby isn't expensive enough - I have to treat the system again.

one tab will treat 380 gallons. Check the thread. Maybe the type that you used the 1st time was a smaller pill dose?

According to the directions 2 tablets are sufficient (760 gallons), but overdosing doesn't cause harm in my experience. I've used 2x the recommended dose and I feel it had better results. There are so many people who've shared their experiences on the boards and it is important you read thoroughly before undergoing this course of action.

Ray, please try and save those cool acro crabs before treating. They'll all die if you don't remove them.

Lam I have treated before and did not lose all my acro crabs, hermits or shrimp, just a couple of eeach, but I do try to remove as many as I can but I will not put them back in my system if I remove them due to reading that there is a chance they could carry them back if you do

Yeah, I can get it. Not sure if I can get it less than petmed's price, but i might be able to.:) Let me know which size (assuming smallest but wanna be sure) and i can find out Mon if you are interested.

keep in mind when figuring out how much you need that you should dose at least three times. I divided one lg dog tab into thirds to treat a 75g three times at somewhat over the reccomended dose but less than 2x.

My vet wasn't very understanding about giving the prescription so I ordered it from a pet meds place in Australia so I didn't need any prescription. price was about the same as the other pet med places that did require a script.

keep in mind when figuring out how much you need that you should dose at least three times. I divided one lg dog tab into thirds to treat a 75g three times at somewhat over the reccomended dose but less than 2x.

I did treat three times. I split a six pack with Marc (not the good kind of six-er), and out of the three tabs I got, I used all with a small amount left over.

Mike,

I was saying that to persivore as a helpful hint. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't treat properly.

The really ironic thing for me is that my parents siberian Husky passed away a few weeks after I went through the process of getting Interceptor from half way around the world. A month or so after I fininsh the treatment I find out my parents have a whole package of interceptor left over that they're going to throw away.

good luck

jk

Hey guys and Abbey -

You want the Large Dog size of Interceptor tablets only... not the small. The correct dosage of the active ingredient (1 pill per 380 gallons for treating red mites) is measured via the large pill.
Just FYI in case Abbey pickes them up for anyone.

Mike... That stinks. Good luck getting them out, again. I'm sure you'll be just fine. It's just a pain, as you know. I have been treating everything that goes into my tank - even non acros - just to be safe.

b

While we're on the topic of QT and dips, I wanted to get an opinion on what people do in addition to Interceptor. Currently, I QT everything except fish. I use Interceptor and then Greenex at 5 1/2 hours into Interceptor treatment to rid possible flatworms.

Of course that won't rid everything. Do you folks use other dips?

I have never used freshwater dips....yet. On sps, I never freshwater dip. What are your opinions on this?

Thanks for your input.

I was saying that to persivore as a helpful hint. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't treat properly.

jimmyj - no problem, my reply was directed at an earlier reply, not yours. The last time I treated was a while ago. Jeremy at CRA weighed out the dose, so it was roughly correct. You can never really account for water displaced by liverock in the aquarium, so it's a best guesstimate.

Abbey came through for me, now it's off to the ocean tomorrow for water to have on hand for the post treatment water changed. Big tides this week !

Bec and Lam, can you please tell me what exact process you follow when you acquire any new animals for your tanks ?
It will be helpful to know.

Back