Got my tank up this weekend, looking for Critique/feedback.

expatgoalie

Non-member
I'll let the pics do the talking, but I just finally put my 60 cube online this weekend. Before my questions, pics-

photobucket-3811-1320584161157.jpg

photobucket-4005-1320584188485.jpg

photobucket-2099-1320584175525.jpg

and lit-

photobucket-3309-1320631459801.jpg

photobucket-2204-1320631330578.jpg

Now, first- don't mind the wiring mess. I cleaned everything up with drip loops and zip ties after the pic was taken. my questions are as follows-

- The light is about 8" above water surface. Is this a good starting point for distance? It's a 6x24 T5HO ATI unit with ATI bulbs.
- I'm using a reefkeeper lite for temp and light control. I was planning on using the 2 bulb plug to come on 1 hour before the remaining 4 bulbs, and also for them to go out 1hr later. In terms of a lighting schedule though, how long should they be on in general over the day. I have them on at 11/12pm and off at 8:30/9:30pm currently.
- The skimmer right now is positioned so that the sump water level submerges the exit pipe about half-way. Is that high enough? It's within octopus specs, but I just wanted to be sure? Also, should I start skimming now (during cycle), or wait?

So far, everything went unusually smooth. Not a single leak, plumbing and pumps are quiet as all heck, and there isn't a single microbubble in the DT at all. Feedback, as always, is welcomed though.

Thanks,
Paul

yes, it's a marineland cube but drilled with a gla$$holes.com overflow box. I'm using an Eheim 1260 return pump, and it's giving the 700gph overflow everything it's got. I've got it dialed back about 25% right now... I'm running a reverse durso and am amazed at how quiet it is. There was a little bit of harmonic gurgling at first, but playing with the standpipe length eliminated it completely.

haha, thanks! My marcorock shipped out today, but I'm going to get a pc or two of live rock from my LFS just to get the tank cycle started...

I'd leave the skimmer off through the cycle especially if you are primarily using Marco Rock. Your initial bio load is very low so leaving suspended organic material in the water through the cycle will help feed the bacteria etc. Just my .02.

It is difficult to gauge with the photos of the sump but I'd also drop the sump level. Your skimmer chamber may be OK, but if that is the same water level as your return chamber it may be high. The litmus test... it should be low enough to accommodate all the water volume that will drain out of your tank and pipe work in the event of a power outage. Yours looked a little high if that level is consistent in the other chamber so I would simulate a power outage and see before it happens during a mid winter storm.

yeah, the water level is over the baffles right now because I added sand and it pushed it over. Once evaporation starts happening it should be OK. I was a little low on salinity, so it should all still be fine. I've simulated a power outage and there is plenty of space for drainback water.

Thanks,
Paul

love cubes...great looking set up. Nice light also... I just bought a 24inch x 8 bulb ATI dimmable sunpower unit and out off all the lighting units i have owned its by far my favorite.

Thanks. Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned it on for the first time. I had Mh's, and PC actinics on my old 75. What a flipping difference in light quality compared to the crap DIY lights I used to have vs. the ATI unit. Unbelievable.

I got it off RC for $250 with brand new bulbs too, so I was happy about that. I just need to figure out a moonlight setup that works, and then I'm done.

Good deal finding that ATI!! I have not found an easy way to add moonlights to the ATI fixture either.

New sled is sitting in garage waiting for snow!

Do not be negative. Be hopeful. It is still early in he season.

THINK SNOW! North of the MA/NH boarder at least.

Looks good. I too have a 60 cube. The only recommendation I could give is not to have it so close to the wall on the left side and back. If you ever want to get in there to clean, if dropped something or have to do some maintenance it could be a real pain in the a**. I have my tank in a corner and have 6" clearance on the side and back.

Back