Hach test kits? (Calcium + Magnesium)

Hey Daire -

Can I get a kit also? I can PayPal the $ to the address provided. Just let me know if I can get in at this point.

Thanks,

bec

If you still need EDTA and Ethylene Glycol, I will see what my friend(runs a small chemical company) can get it for and whether he'd order it for me.

Greg Hiller said:
MORE ASSUMPTIONS:

Most people would likely be happy for a LONG time with enough reagent to do....let's say 200 tests of calcium and 200 of magnesium (you could test for each twice a month for 8.3 years!!). Using the test the way I do that would mean you would need a total of about 440 ml of the homemade EDTA titrant reagent as I have been making it up.

If we assume 30 people were interested that would be ~13 liters of reagent. I calculated that I would need $80 worth of propylene glycol and $32 worth of EDTA to prep the EDTA reagent for this many people. That works out to about $3.73/per person for the EDTA reagent. The question is how can I purchase the chemicals (as I'm a little reluctant to nab them from my lab)? The numbers I gave were direct from the Sigma chemical company catalog.

These are not particularly dangerous chemicals. From my old workplace (small company) I was able to just reimburse the company, but where I work now I really cannot do this.

Last edited:
I can get the propylene glycol from a company the stocks it localy, but I'm not sure about the EDTA yet. I asked about a week ago but because of people being out sick they have not gotten back to me. I should know next week. Maurod if you can get the EDTA LMK.

Maurod & Jeff - thanks for the looking into/getting the chemicals! I'll place the order for the kits as soon as I get everyone's payment. Please let me know if you've paypal'd me by posting to this thread so I can make sure I got the $$.

Daire

Last edited:
Everyone - I forgot to add the amount to process paypal payments ($2 for these transactions), and Bec's addition may have increased the shipping (haven't checked yet), so everyone might owe me a few more bucks. I'll figure it all out once I order the kits, and you can pay me at the meeting. Again, it should only be a few bucks each.

Thanks,
Daire

If you guys are looking for the EDTA it would be easiest if we could get the tetra sodium, tetrahydrate form.

Actually, if you guys can come up with the propylene glycol, I can probably come up with the EDTA. I calculated we would need about 3 liters worth to make the reagent as I calculated above for 30 people.

So far, I have received payment from:

cobra1858
ifferstankslave
reefnroll

Richard and Mark, please let me know if you have put checks in the mail. If so, I'll order the kits today.

Daire

Sorry Daire

I totally forgot, but go ahead and order I will not back out . I will write the check as soon as I get home tonight.

Richard

Ok, I've heard from everyone. I'm going to place the order right now. I'll post with further details once the order is complete. Hopefully the kits will be here by the meeting.

Daire

Ordered. It turns out that Bec's addition did not change the shipping so the total was $351 ($333 + $18 shipping) which works out to be $58.50 per person. So it looks like I owe some of you 60 cents! (except for those making the paypal payments because there was a $2 surcharge). I think we can all call it even. Everyone ok with that?? I'll let you know when I receive the kits.

For those of you that purchased the Hach test kit. I strongly recommend that you dilute your tank water sample prior to testing it or you will find that the end point is hard to see, and you will also end up using A LOT of titrant, especially for the magnesium test. I have found a good dilution to shoot for is 1/7x the original concentration. I use 1 part tank water to 6 parts DI water. I then use this diluted sample for BOTH the calcium and magnesium test. Then I run the tests as the directions suggest.

Rather than adding the titrant of the kit dropwise however, I have found I could get more accurate measurements by adding the titrant using a 1 ml syringe with a needle attached. If you use this method then first test for calcium, then multiply the milliliters of reagent you used by 854 to get ppm of Calcium. If performed carefully you should be able to get resolution of the test down to about 17 ppm. Your tank should be >400 ppm Calcium

For the magnesium test I also use the diluted sample. To get the final magnesium value in ppm use the following formula:

[X ml of reagent * 2144 - (y ppm calcium/0.4)]/4.7 = ppm Mg

where x is the ml of reagent used in the magnesium test, and y is the ppm of calcium determined in the calcium test. Your tank should be >1250 ppm Mg, best about 1350 ppm.

O.k. Thanks Greg.
Great infor, but I'll never remember all that.
I'm going to print out those instructions and
put them into my Hatch kit box when I get it.

b

They ordered the propylene glycol and I should have it in time for the next meeting. I?m still not sure about the EDTA yet, but if I can get it, I will bring it to the next meeting.

Hey Daire -
??????????

I'll letcha know. If not, I'll see if someone from this neck of the woods can grab mine for me. Thaks again for taking care of all this.

b

Back