hair algae making me pull my hair out

1fish2fish

Non-member
Hello,

We've tried lots of things to reduce the hair algae in our tank:
shorten light cycle, feed less, frequent water changes...

Someone recommended a foxface rabbitfish (I think that was the name). Does anyone have one we can borrow? Will it get along with our yellow tang?

Any other suggestions for getting rid of the hairy mess would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reba

I had a large amount of hair algae on my live rock till I slowly raised my magnesium in 3 weeks which was around at 1260 when I started and raised it to 1440. I mixed 7 1/4 cups of Mag Pellets and 3/4 cup of Epson salt in a 1 gallon container with RO water. I dripped the Magnesium from a food grade container into my refugium within the return pump section. I used this chemical calculator for the correct amount to gradually raise the Mag. http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html. I then was able to hand pick remove a lot of the hair algae or use an old tooth brush and scooped the floating hair algae with a small net. It was easy to let loose as I worked at it. I probably have a small amount on a power head in the tank that I can remove it from the tank and soak in vinegar and water in a small bucket.

Although just about any Rabbitfish will eat hair algae, the Orange Spot Rabbitfish are the best ime. Also, diadema urchins will consume large amounts of it. The urchins may turn to your corals after it is all gone though. The Rabbitfish SHOULD be OK with your Yellow Tang if you can find a small one. Raising your mg can help as Leroy stated. Tha main culprit is usually phosphate. Most algae cannot grow without it.

Sea hares mow through hair algae. They're cheap, easy to come by, and easy to remove when the job is done. I've had very positive experiences with them, though it's been reported they can release toxins if they die so use at your own risk.

Run GFO. Raise Mag. Clean the rocks. i would take out water for a water change and put water in a 5 gallon bucket. Take rocks out and scrub the algea off into the bucket. then return clean rocks to the tank.

I have 2 yellow tangs and a purple tang with my rabbit fish and they all get along fine......I also have a vlamingi tang that gets along with them all also.

-Raise your Mg
-Get a seahair, I would give you one if it didnt get stuck in my tunze after a year and a half
-get some GFO running on the tank
-increase skimming
-more water changes and take the rock out and scrub it as mentioned above

my tank was so bad at one point you couldnt even see the rocks and I almost threw in the towel, there is still a spot of it here and there but it is easily removed and doesnt amount to more then a 1/2 teaspoon or so

I think this link sums it up nicely:
http://192.220.11.93/FAQ/faq_ridhairalgae.shtm

Steps to solve the problem:

1. Boost your alkalinity to 3.5 - 4.0 meg/l and maintain it.
2. Check your bulbs.
3. Ensure you have enough herbivores.
4. Evaluate your skimmers performance. Don't be fooled by manufacturer's claims as to skimmer ratings.
5. Evaluate your stocking density - do you have too many fish?
6. Ensure your water source is pure. Use distilled if necessary.
7. Turn off all lights for three days. This is somewhat of a desperate situation, but can be effective if caution is taken to check ammonia levels, etc. should it rise as the algae dies.
8. Utilize kalkwasser. Well mixed kalkwasser has been proven to precipitate out phosphates. It also helps maintain alkalinity.
9. Ensure that you have ample water circulation and surface agitation.
10. Be patient and remember good things happen slowly

I agree on the sea hares- they did a wonder in my tank. i got some rock from another reefer and they ate it all and then once they were done it didn't come back :) they also come in a dwarf size if you have a smaller tank.

Back