Hair algae on my fluval

gobie1313

BRS Member
Can’t figure this out . one of my fluval 300 has
Hair algae growing on it.
Well established tank over 10 years with no other algae issue . I have a total of 6 fluval and only 1 keeps growing algae on it( long hair algae . It’s a 125 reef tank
With 2 fuge tanks with chaeto.
I do a 25 gal water change every 2 weeks with r/o water. And a large protein skimmer .
If the water is constantly moving around the fluval how is this even possible ?

What are you parameters?

You need more cleanup crew. Get a few urchins, hermits, snails, and a couple tangs

That still doesn’t answer, why this is happening on 1 fluval .
I have a large tang that’s always grazing
And big size clean up crew

But again
Why out of. 125 g tank with 6 fluval ( 1 above. And 1 below ) the one in question is the only one with an issue

But again
Why out of. 125 g tank with 6 fluval ( 1 above. And 1 below ) the one in question is the only one with an issue

Could be that one is leaching something that is causing the algae growth. For example, there can be a tank full of matured live rock with lot of corals. But you can see algae on one specific rock and know that it is leaching phosphate. You can easily prove this by soaking that rock for 24 to 48 hours in a freshly mixed saltwater and running a test using that water.

btw, I have no idea what you are referring to when you say Fluval 300. google shows a bunch of heaters and filters. Not sure which one you are using. I have no experience with these. To remove the variable of lighting / water flow, you can try to move the problem one to a different location in the tank for few days and try to observe.

Attachments

• 198A56ED-D00E-4E82-8A82-1E3FA74DFC32.png
    198A56ED-D00E-4E82-8A82-1E3FA74DFC32.png
    326 KB · Views: 66
Could be that one is leaching something that is causing the algae growth. For example, there can be a tank full of matured live rock with lot of corals. But you can see algae on one specific rock and know that it is leaching phosphate. You can easily prove this by soaking that rock for 24 to 48 hours in a freshly mixed saltwater and running a test using that water.

btw, I have no idea what you are referring to when you say Fluval 300. google shows a bunch of heaters and filters. Not sure which one you are using. I have no experience with these. To remove the variable of lighting / water flow, you can try to move the problem one to a different location in the tank for few days and try to observe.

Attachments

• AF599F11-CCEF-4EE1-9547-C4C04B7F4C9D.png
    AF599F11-CCEF-4EE1-9547-C4C04B7F4C9D.png
    326 KB · Views: 61
It’s just a flow pump
To move water
There is nothing to leech out
There is another one 3 inch below it and 3 inch below
And they have no algae

It’s just a flow pump
To move water
And they have no algae
Probably combo of light and nutrients in dead spots. It grabs a hold and gets nutrients from the water moving past. Probably gets a decent amount of light. No big deal, just take it out and clean it. You’ll probably be amazed at all the life growing on and in it

It’s just a flow pump
To move water
And they have no algae
Plastic can still leach out things. For example egg crate is a hard plastic that is well known to leach phosphate. Also it would definitely help everyone to know your parameters so we can check off those boxes that they are not the reason why your growing hair algae.

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
All 300
Ph 7.8
Keep in mind hair algae is in one spot only
On the flow pump ( fluval 300)

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
All 300
Ph 7.8
Keep in mind hair algae is in one spot only
On the flow pump ( fluval 300)
What's your po4? No idea really why one or your wavemakers are growing hair algae or not but you could always just pull it and soak in a citric acid bath, rinse and reinstall it. My Tunze pumps grow valonia and periodically I soak them and they're good to go for months

Yes I do pull it and soak in vinegar
Just wanted this mystery solved
Bugs the crap out of me lol

Its likely you have already check this... just in case take a look at that pump impeller as well as the magnets to make sure nothing is rusting or have any damage.

Yes I do pull it and soak in vinegar
Just wanted this mystery solved
Bugs the crap out of me lol
dont soak in vinegar its known to cause magnet swelling. it could just be a freak thing and its a easier place for the algae to grow or the plastic could be leaching p04. either way at least its only your pump and its a easy thing to take care of if it gets out of hand

dont soak in vinegar its known to cause magnet swelling. it could just be a freak thing and its a easier place for the algae to grow or the plastic could be leaching p04. either way at least its only your pump and its a easy thing to take care of if it gets out of hand
What is magnet swelling ?
I don’t have a test for phosphates
But I use r/o water
And change 25g out of 125
Every other week

Back