Hair Algae Preventatives

sdesi2005

Non-member
I am noticing the beginning of a hair algae breakout. What is the best method of Hair algae removal? I have heard mixed opinions about may methods, from less/no actinics, blue leg hermits, turbos and crabs to different chemical treatments. I would be skeptical to use a chemical treatment. Has anyone ever tried one? What is your recommendation?

I was told to put in a sea urchin and that would help. I did last nite, and will let you know how it does.

Tam

The entire back of my tank was covered in hair algae. It looked better than my lawn. A crew of astrea snaila and an emerald crab cleared it all away. It has been gone and has not come back for moths now.
-Brian

Mauro gave me a turbo last night... after 20 minutes it had eaten the hair algea off of almost an entire rock... and that was some tall thick algea

I've tried the Emerald Crab and the sea urchins. I found that both liked my zoas more than the algae. I'd keep an eye on them.

the urchin worked well for me a long time ago, then I got rid of it when the hair algae was all gone.

I now have hair algae in my overflow now. every couple weeks I pull it out myself. wish I didn't have to

my algae blennie loves hair algae...what little I had over a yr ago. My yellow tang likes it too.

I've been thinking about getting an algae blenny, do they really work? Or are they more like a sleeper goby where they mostly sift the sand?

Nutrient control is the key.
Make sure your phosphates and nitrates are zero.
Use RO or RO/DI water to top off the tank and for water changes.
Make sure your skimmer is working well.

Bilogical controls are good, but the war is won by getting the nutrients to zero.

mine doesn't sift sand....it sucks on rocks and the glass algae all day. It also loves nori when I put some closer to the sand

I'm with Moe here. It's good to find something that eats the HA you've already got, but you'll never win the war unless you correct the conditions that are feeding the algae. Increase water changes, skim wet, feed less, add a fuge, reduce fish load if necessary, and you'll be happier in the end.

That said, I'm using a borrowed Sea Hare, that did a decent job of eating HA after I had a coral crash and subsequent nutrient spike.

Nate

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) added a small hanh-on fuge full of Macro. Eventually I want to convert my sump into a Fuge as well. Look at my potential design below for my wet/dry.

Please comment. I am wondering if the algea will go below the divider and get caught in the pumps. I believe it generally floats, and the main purpose will be to remove nutrient from the water, so pods aren't even an issue.

Please note the Blue lines for water flow and level

Attachments

• Fuge2.jpg
    Fuge2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 226
im reading a lot about a product called az-no3 from marine depot heard nothing but good things i ordered a bottle last night when i get it i will let u know how it worked

sdesi, I think your macro will constantly go under the baffle. I'd add one more baffle to the right of the one you have drawn, that goes all the way to the bottom of the fuge, and extends above the waterlevel in the left part of your sump. The water goes over it before going under the next baffle into the return pump section.

I am still battling a big algae outbreak after treating my tank for the "Red Bugs". I am finally seeing the end of the tunnel and the algae is starting to lose the battle !
As stated above nutrient export is the best way of preventing algae. However, if you already have it what do you do?

1. Run carbon and or poly-filter to get phosphates and organics lower
2. Reduce lighting while running carbon. If you use carbon a lot, then the water tends to become "clearer" and lets more light through. Therefore, reduce your photo period and or the distance of the lights from the water when running carbon for an extended period.
3. Manually remove as much algae as you can. This can be done using a canister filter to vacum out the algae. I use a Magnum 350 that works really well for this purpose.
4. Change your bulbs. If the light spectrum shifts to a lower frequency band (old bulbs will do this), nuisance algae will abound.
5. Water changes will help get nutrient levels down
6. Adjust your skimmer to output at least 1 cup of skimmate per day, even if it is wet skimmate.
7. Ad herbivores
8. Increase water flow in your tank (Dilution is the solution to pollution - Martin Moe)
9. Replace RO/DI filter cartridges
10. If you are using a calcium reactor, control the amount of C02 that you are injecting and decrease it if need be. I was running my Calcoium reactor with a pH of 6.5 for the output water. I increased this to 6.7 without much of a drop in alkalinity or calcium levels.
11. Let algae grow like crazy in your refugium (already mentioned in the thread above)
12. Use an iron oxide based phosphate removal compound. I began running PhosBan but I am monitoring Ca, Alk, and P04 very closely. Also I am using 1/3 of the recommended portion of the product. Sometimes, conventional nutrient export is not effective, especially in overstocked tanks like mine. But I like lots of big fish so I have to pay the consequences and use every single resource available to ensure optimum water quality. Every system is different and may require more or less of the above water maintenance tasks.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
Use an iron oxide based phosphate removal compound. I began running PhosBan but I am monitoring Ca, Alk, and P04 very closely. Also I am using 1/3 of the recommended portion of the product

Good point chuck..
Be careful when adding any iron oxide based materials to the tank. It can hurt a tank as quickly as it can help. I have seen some great tanks run with rust and I have also seen the damage it can do to others.

Moe_K said:
Nutrient control is the key.
Make sure your phosphates and nitrates are zero.
Use RO or RO/DI water to top off the tank and for water changes.
Make sure your skimmer is working well.

Bilogical controls are good, but the war is won by getting the nutrients to zero.

Good points Moe...

sdesi2005,
How long has the tank been set up?
What are the water parameters?
Do you test for PO4?

Just tested my water, PH 8.4, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, I did have a slight Ammonia spike about 0.25. Its usually 0. I have been pulling a lot of the hair algae off the rocks manually, that may have caused it to spike slightly by stirring up the tank a little. I'll test it again later. My tank has been set up for about 9 months now. I don't currently test for Phosphates but I guess I better start. I do run carbon and PhosX in my sump.

Back