Hair Algae Preventatives

i have ha on a zoo rock and cant get rid of it its not spreading and i have 2 emerald crabs and alot of blue leg hermits everything in the tank is clean but they wont touch that rock anyone know best way its been about 2 months all levels are correct

well, i'm not really sure of the rock in question. if you had a picture, i could better recommend a strategy.
one tact that might work for you (i learned it in the reef aquarium vol. I) is to wind a toothpick in the HA in between the polyps and remove it.

Low nutrient level is obviously the key but, fwiw, I have a bunch of turbos, blue hermits, scarlet hermits, a Sohol Tang, and a Powder Blue Tang. I ran this tank with regular DI water for about 1 3/4 yrs. I just bought my first RO/DI unit about a month ago. I have never any kind of an algae problem except for all that purple stuff, LOL! I get occasional short bouts with red cyno. I think that is more of a circulation problem though that will be fixed shortly. My nutrient levels are low for the bioload I have....

sdesi2005 said:
Just tested my water, PH 8.4, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, I did have a slight Ammonia spike about 0.25. Its usually 0. I have been pulling a lot of the hair algae off the rocks manually, that may have caused it to spike slightly by stirring up the tank a little. I'll test it again later.
That's a little odd. I'd keep a close eye on your ammonia. Pulling up hair algae really shouldn't create ammonia, I don't think. Might suggest you either have a problem with your biological filter, or are overstocked.

Did you say you're running a skimmer? How much LR, how big a tank?
What are all the fish in the tank and sizes?

Nate

I'm running a ER6-1 skimmer on my 72Gal, I Do have (6) fish in the tank now:
Perc Clown (2-2.5"), Maroon Clown(2.5"), Purple Tang (3-3.5"), Naso Tang (4"), CBB(4") and a sixline (1.5"). I know thats a lot of fish, but they're small and I will be getting rid of the maroon and the Naso Eventually. I am going to be getting a lawnmower blenny.

I was told that the types of fish that you keep also play a large role in the number that you can keep. The tangs are Herbivors, as well as the Lawnmower. Does this matter? Am I overstocked? Would this lead to an algae problem?

Back