Hair algae real bad

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
I have neglected my tank pretty badly this past 12 months. No skimmer, barely any water changes, a mess. I got hair algae really really badly that almost makes me want to throw in the towel.

I got the skimmer started again this week - it needed cleaning and a new part. I have done 2 water changes at 30 gal each. That's about 25%.

Anything else I should do? I have cyano, green hair algae, purple furry hair algae. No snails. No hermits. Just a powder blue tang, clown fish, blue chromis, and yellow blenny.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Get that skimmer cranking, keep the water changes regular, and get a clean up crew in there. Back on track in no time

Be patient and do your regular Maintenance. Not sure what you are using for lights, but if they are old your should change them as well. As your nutrients begin to shrink your algae will start to die off.

Just started a thread about this earlier today Kent Tech M boost magnesium to 1360-1400 ppm, my tank was clear of all algeas including hair and bryopsis in 3 days

No negative effect as long as you don't over do it, I wouldn't raise it over 1400ppm, I've always kept mine around 1300ppm anyway so it's not a huge boost and everything looks great especially now the nuisance Algea is gone my zoas and palys can once again breathe and be happy

Back