hair algae ?

djkoleohn

Non-member
not really sure whats growing in my tank , its stringy and very dark green or black . hoping someone can help me get rid of it

Attachments

• DSC00510.jpg
    DSC00510.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 175
looks like dinos....is it 'snotty'? you have some cyano too.....

i have the same thing in my 14G, in the back corner by the overflow. no cyano though. will be paying attention for some information as well.

is it harmfull? and how should i go about taking care of this ? it only started since i added a rock from a friend

My guess is cyano mainly... Try sucking it up and doing water changes... Also what are you using for nutrient export? (skimmer fuge etc) Also what sized tank? How long has it been up and running? And are you using RO/DI for top off and water changes?

looks like dinos....is it 'snotty'? you have some cyano too.....

Another tell tale sign of dinos is the air bubbles when the lights are off and then they go away when the lights are off... IMO it doesn't look like dinos because of the lack of bubbles, the color and it would be more visable on the rocks but not def rulling it out...

It has forced many an unwanted tank teardown.

Are you kidding me?
Dino's and cyano will usually wax and wane in our tanks and to different extents. More common in newer set ups I believe. Never heard of taking a tank down because of it. Vacuum it up and forge ahead, have good nutrient export (skimmer, water changes).

thanks for the replys but my tank has been setup for about 8 months , its a 72 bowfront ....ove 100lbs of live rock , 80 of live sand .... my skimmer is a aqua c remora pro that has been modded w/a mag 9 pump ...not sure if its dino because it looks nothing like the pic of it . also no bubbles

Could be the pic, but it looks like a dark version of red slime. Get some red slime remover and suck it out during your water changes. PITA but easily removed.:)

You have a nice cyano bloom going there.9 times out of 10 this is the problem.
I'd really consider backing off on feeding,especially if you feed frozen cyclopeeze.

It's a very rich food, and some think it can lead to cynaobacteria blooms due to the nutrients it adds to the water. I use it very occasionally...but my fish and corals go so nuts when I add it that my 9 year old calls it 'fish crack'

more info please... was considering some of this and want to know the in's and out's....

It's like Jay said.
A frozen cyclopeeze bar that has lots of nutrients.
I only use very little,once maybe each month.I have definitely seen this food attribute to cyano in my tank if over fed.

Back