hairy mushrooms.........

pearlmaj

Non-member
i have a pretty small nano tank. its only a 10g and i have a decent size rock with a bunch of hairy mushrooms on it. my question is how can i scale back the size of it.......i'd like to maybe get rid of a few of them, but i was just wondering how i could accomplish this without killing the shrooms.........theres about 6-8 of them, but they take up a large portion.......any info would be greatly appreciated....also, i'd like to sell a few of them if it works...........thanks.......

dan

Sounds like they may be Rhodactis species.
Anyhoo, I had tons of them in my last tank. They spread. They sting the heck outta other corals. They are pretty.
You can try slicing them off, but you'll find they grow back from the tiniest stump left behind. It's a messy business, trying to slice 'em up.
In my experience, there's no manual way to reduce the number of shrooms without killing some.
To kill them, I suggest a lime (kalk) paste. Apply the paste to the shroom when the tank's pumps are all off. Leave there for 30 minutes. Maybe have a single airstone going if you're worried about oxygen. Then siphon off the paste (completely) and turn on the pumps again. Repeat if the treatment didn't kill the shroom.

depending on the rock you can take a new sharp razor or scalpel and slice into the rock just under the shroom this will raise it and take it off with a little rubble under it so it stays intact

heres a pic of the shrooms......not the best camera in the world.......but you'll get the idea....

Attachments

• DSCF0183.JPG
    DSCF0183.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 141
well, if you want to get rid of some of them before the big kill off let me know, those look pretty cool

You could certainly knock them back by gently cutting/scraping/peeling a few off and selling/trading to other reefers (these things seem to bring about $10/polyp at frag swaps, so you can pick up some other stuff you like when you thin these out :))

I doubt kalk and other extreme measures are really necessary unless you're trying to rid your tank of them completely.

Nate

im not planning on killing them....i think they're really cool looking, especially how they move in the current.....i just need to scale them back a bit cause my tanks soo small. i think that i'll be good just taking the main rock that they're on out cause i think i have a few new ones on the surrounding rocks that i'd keep. that'll be my project this weekend, selling a few things outta my tank.......thanks for the help/info.....

I have the same or very similar mushrooms and the trick that Dawn mentioned above -- scraping a bit of rock from under the foot of the mushroom instead of slicing the mushroom itself -- has worked very well for me.

Nuno

Back