Halide wattage question

gordonzoo

Non-member
I presently maintain a 90-gallon with 120lb of rock, assorted softies and it's unbelievable on how soon it becomes too small to cram anything else in it. I plan on building my next tank and may have a good start on lighting.
I came across a pair of Industrial 400 watt Halide pendulant lights. I can separate the ballast/transformer from the main body to reduce size. The question I have: Is it ok to plug a 250w bulb in place of 400w if I decide to or should I change the cap size or am I locked with 400w?

I think that means "one" 400w bulb, not 1w to 400w bulb. If in doubt, give the reefgeek guys a call - they don't bite :)

You know I think your prob right, originally I didn't read it that way. Good point I'll ask them to be sure. Thanks :)

Most MH ballasts are rated for the exact wattage. There are new ballasts (saw them at MACNA) that can run a variety of bulbs/combos. Some of the new ballasts can fire more then 1 bulb. But I haven't see one in use yet & they are expensive!!

I don't think you can mix different wattage bulbs and ballasts.

That said I ran a 75g with a single 400w over it for years. My tank was an AGA brand so it had a pretty noticable shadow in the middle but the set up worked great otherwise.

Looks like I will build a deaper tank. The 400w with one blue and one actinic should round it out. If my reflector is too directional I will get a differnt shape.
Thanks. ;)

Back