Hanna Phosphorus ULR vs Phosphate ULR reagent

ReefAddict

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Hanna Phosphorus ULR vs Phosphate ULR reagent

A simple question do any of you know if the reagent is interchangeable? Is it the same stuff? I know there are 2 different reagent powders sold, labeled accordingly, but that doesn't mean it's not the same stuff.

Yes, at the hobby level they're interchangeable. Both of the checkers measure phosphate concentration via the same reaction (ascorbic acid method). Phosphorus and phosphate can be easily converted to each other, the main difference between the checkers are the units (phosphorus is slightly more precise).

It's important to note that both of the checkers/reagents are ULR, as they are testing in the same range and have similar margins of error. I would be more hesitant using the regular or HR reagent as the margin of error for those tests is much greater and therefore the amount of reagent in each packet is likely less precise.

Here's some other discussion about it on R2R:

Awesome DC. Thanks for the info. Yeah I been using both for last couple months, just because I am crazy and always amazed how close the two of these checkers test to each other. Yes, always the ULR for both.

for example tested today
Phosphorus ULR = 9 = .027
Phosphate ULR = .03

I'll read that linked thread when I get some time. Thanks again.

Back