Has Anyone Ordered Liverock via the Internet?

jgiannini

Always going overboard
Hi All - Has anyone here ordered liverock from internet stores/sites? I've seen sellers on Ebay and other sites but am concerned about the quality compared to a LFS. The price is very irresistable. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Or any sites you've had luck with if you order it online? Thanks.

Jason

Hi All - Has anyone here ordered liverock from internet stores/sites? I've seen sellers on Ebay and other sites but am concerned about the quality compared to a LFS. The price is very irresistable. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Or any sites you've had luck with if you order it online? Thanks.

Jason
I don't think I would be going too far out on a limb to suggest that a majority of people here have ordered their rock on the internet.

Internet stores can offer live rock for a fraction of the price of a LFS. Moreover, I found the quality of rock ordered online (coraline encrustation, etc.) to be superior to the quality locally.

Now if you need a very special piece and want to see it beforehand, then a LFS is the way to go.

However, I have been happy with all the rock I received from online vendors. They can often give you a very accurate description of what you will receive.

Typically, your average Fiji 44lb. box contains two pieces between football and basketball sized, plus a handful of baseball to softball sized pieces.

Matt:cool:

Theres always marco rocks and then seed it with some regular live rock, but your going to have to cure the rock.
Oh and there are several members on the board that are selling rock.

i actually ordered live rock online and found that i received some pretty good pieces... some places you can request larger pieces or smaller.. overall my experience was great!! especially for the price!!! i think overall i paid like 3.00 a pound and the place was based in Florida... if i can remember the place i will repost..

Posted in the wrong forum. Moved out to Reef Talk. Please review the Vendor Experience forum rules before you post in that forum.
Thanks.

I got all my LR years ago from Flying Fish Express (does that ring a bell with some of you old timers?) It was bought out by Fosters and Smith. It's great rock, FiJi, Marshall Island, and Tonga. Florida rock tends to be much denser, thus heavier, less rock for the money. I have a 50lb box of Marco rock coming today for my new 90. I'll add some LR and LS from my other two tanks to seed it, I can't wait.

Awesome responses! Glad people are having good luck with it. Looks like I'll be placing an order soon!

Jason

i did order from liverocks dot com and was very happy but becasue of the hurricans from last years it distroyed all there rock so now they out of business but will take some time to come back

I have ordered with premium aquatics twice - tons of life on their LR rubble.
Both times I ordered a lb or 2 of rubble with my order for the hitchhickers.
You will not be disappointed and there is a place for comments so you can tell them what size tank you have and they will hand pick rock for that size.
Good luck with your tank

Hummm? Maybe it's just the pricing around her(SE MA) but it seems that the online pricing is fairly comprable to the sponsor stores out this way. Some seem to be a draw & some to be be higher after freight?

I kind of like the idea of hand picking myself. Then there is usually a member selling off rock as well.

My box of Marco rocks just arrived, my first time not getting LR. The stuff is awsome, very light, awsome shapes and gazillions of nooks and crannies. After curing and seeding it should be every bit as good as LR, only cheaper.

I got mine from Dr Macs, and was realy happy with it. But next time i will try Marco's rocks they look incredible. Good luck

Back