hawkfish jumped out

t1771

Non-member
I found my arc eye hawk on the floor this morning...he must have jumped out during the night :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it sucks to lose a fish that way. Sorry to change the subject, but how was the hawkfish as far as agression/territoriality? I saw a nice little arc eye the other day and was thinking about getting it. Any problems with it?

was it fish suicide night?!?!?

tucc185, I love arc eyes..I always have one in my tank. I haven't had a territorial one as of yet. They seem pretty peaceful and if there are aggresive fish in the tank the halk should be fine with hiding spots. They find a nitch they like and "purch" there all the time. just watch out for hermits...my hawks always love to swim by, knock over the hermits and then watch them struggle to get back up again... really funny to watch. I have to find a sponcer with one availabel for me to buy.

I have had two fire goby jumped out of my tank when i first started the hobby.
Ever since, I would find out if the fish I'm about to get is a jumper or not. Sucks when you look all over the tank for the fish and only to find it dried on the floor.

No kidding!! I have about 1/2 inch of space uncovered on the top of my tank, 2 days ago I found my maroon clown on the floor!! That's 2 fish in a few months... it's so annoying. I am going to try to put mesh or something over the entire top, even though I have glass.
Not to mention I went 5 years without a jumper and now I have had tons this past year!

Last edited:
tucc185 said:
Yeah, it sucks to lose a fish that way. Sorry to change the subject, but how was the hawkfish as far as agression/territoriality? I saw a nice little arc eye the other day and was thinking about getting it. Any problems with it?

I've had an arc eye for about 2 yrs. I haven't seen him eat anything, although I'm sure he's had his fill of hermits when I'm not looking........

I had a long nose hawk jump when I was peeking in the tank with a flashlight one night. I heard a splash and even thought I felt a drop of water on my head.
Evidently it landed between my feet. It was carpet jerky by morning!
It was a very cool fish, lots of personality.

My beagle kept nosing around the back of my tank last night.....sure enough, he wanted to eat the 'crispy critters' Banggai that must have jumped a few hours before.

Dogs are great for finding lost things. I found my son's snake that way when it got loose one day. Jake was sniffing at my armoire and wouldn't leave it alone. I opened it and removed a stack of jeans to find the snake right behind them. He found it before my wife even knew it was missing so he got an extra treat for that one...........

My longnose hawkfish jumped a few weeks back when I opened the canopy to put in its favorite food. It must have been overly psyched. It jumped staight out and into my neck, then sort of slid down my shirt to the floor lol. Scared the cr_p out of me. I picked it right up and put it right back in and in a few minutes, it was as if nothing happened. My tank is fairly high so it was a long drop too. It ony attempted that once, and it was the only (saltwater) fish I have ever had jump while in my tanks.

Joe

Joe - that was a funny story! I had my longnose hawk jump last year too. I had him in quarantine for 4 weeks, then the first week he was in the show tank he jumped. I was so sad. He was a great fish - tons of personality. I'm going to get another one.

Aww ...too bad about your hawk Daire. I agree with the 'personality' aspect of longnose hawkfish too. Mine always seems to be doing something interesting. Even when resting, odd as it sounds. It has become quite tame (for lack of a better word) towards me over the last year or two.

Your new tank is looking fantastic too btw. I used to think my 150 gal was big lol.
Joe

My hawkfish jumped THROUGH my eggcrate! And he was a BIG healthy fish too. I just don't understand why they would want to jump - I feed them, I talk to them, I laugh at them....they really have a great life!

Yah I don't understand the need to jump either.. I wonder if it's by mistake or on purpose. It would be interesting to know what they're thinking once they realize what happened. Not sure if it's cr_p now what or yes! I'm on my way to the ocean?!?! :D

Back