Hello from Lynn, MA...not new, but been away for years!

jwm2k3

BRS Member
Hello everybody, joined BRS a long time ago, but have not been active in a long while. I just became a paid member again!

Im gonna be asking for help and advice, so I figure I should talk about my experience/equipment.

I am a 30+ year saltwater fishkeeper. Ive had a few soft coral in the past, but almost no coral experience.

I started way back with an undergravel filter with crushed coral and powerheads. Then I discovered canister filters, WOW! Lol at this now-a-days.

I had been out of the fish hobby for 5 plus years, but about 6 years ago after the 5 year hiatus, I got another tank and startred with African Cichlids. Pretty cool, I got 80% of the enjoyment of a salt fish tank with 20% of the effort. That has morphed into 3 tanks in my living room, with wife approval :) 2 of these living room tanks are South American Cichlids, which have much less color, but man I really like these fish!

I have a brand new 90g RR corner overflow tank that I intend to setup as saltwater fish only for the first year or so, let the biome develop and maybe think about some beginner corals, softies, etc.

Here is where the questions and advice will arise. I have not yet purchased a sump, return pump(s), plumbing. This 90g tank has 2, one inch holes drilled in the corner overflow. I want to run this as Herbie with dual returns(from the redundant pumps) over the back into the tank.

Equipment selection advice is appreciated. Im thinking a Trigger Systems Sapphire 34(I think) sump. Dimensions will JUST fit under the stand.

Not really loving the idea of a skimmer, Ive never been impressed with a skimmers performace. I would like to utilize the sumps fuge and grow macro algae.

I realize this sump is probably overkill for fish, but you know how we progress...corals will need reactors, etc, etc.

I think the entire reason Ive resigned up as a paid member is to get help with this setup. Man, I dont want to plumb this thing. Its like i have an irrational fear of plumbing this thing lol@me.

So, is there a competent person to Hire for this?

Help me get this straight so my future fishies will outlive me!

THanks for reading, nice to be back at BRS!

Johnny

Hello everybody, joined BRS a long time ago, but have not been active in a long while. I just became a paid member again!

Im gonna be asking for help and advice, so I figure I should talk about my experience/equipment.

I am a 30+ year saltwater fishkeeper. Ive had a few soft coral in the past, but almost no coral experience.

I started way back with an undergravel filter with crushed coral and powerheads. Then I discovered canister filters, WOW! Lol at this now-a-days.

I had been out of the fish hobby for 5 plus years, but about 6 years ago after the 5 year hiatus, I got another tank and startred with African Cichlids. Pretty cool, I got 80% of the enjoyment of a salt fish tank with 20% of the effort. That has morphed into 3 tanks in my living room, with wife approval :) 2 of these living room tanks are South American Cichlids, which have much less color, but man I really like these fish!

I have a brand new 90g RR corner overflow tank that I intend to setup as saltwater fish only for the first year or so, let the biome develop and maybe think about some beginner corals, softies, etc.

Here is where the questions and advice will arise. I have not yet purchased a sump, return pump(s), plumbing. This 90g tank has 2, one inch holes drilled in the corner overflow. I want to run this as Herbie with dual returns(from the redundant pumps) over the back into the tank.

Equipment selection advice is appreciated. Im thinking a Trigger Systems Sapphire 34(I think) sump. Dimensions will JUST fit under the stand.

Not really loving the idea of a skimmer, Ive never been impressed with a skimmers performace. I would like to utilize the sumps fuge and grow macro algae.

I realize this sump is probably overkill for fish, but you know how we progress...corals will need reactors, etc, etc.

I think the entire reason Ive resigned up as a paid member is to get help with this setup. Man, I dont want to plumb this thing. Its like i have an irrational fear of plumbing this thing lol@me.

So, is there a competent person to Hire for this?

Help me get this straight so my future fishies will outlive me!

THanks for reading, nice to be back at BRS!

Johnny
I use a trigger systems 34 for a common sum for a 100 and 80 frag tank. With power off, you can see that there is still wiggle room in the sump, so that shouldn't be a problem. Pics for reference and water lines to show the drop.

Attachments

• PXL_20220918_182446882.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220918_182446882.MP.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20220918_182502864.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220918_182502864.MP.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20220918_182457428.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220918_182457428.MP.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 75
I use a trigger systems 34 for a common sum for a 100 and 80 frag tank. With power off, you can see that there is still wiggle room in the sump, so that shouldn't be a problem. Pics for reference and water lines to show the drop.
Awesome. Thank you for that. Also, Im sure youre loving the sump, any trouble with filter sock access?

Not gonna lie, the location kind of sucks for, big skimmer in the way. I run it without socks and have for a while. @Cpage101 has the same sump. maybe he'll chime in.

Back