Help! Can't believe what I just find.

Bidadari

Glitterless
I just found a tiny baby bangai in my 75g tank. I know bangai keep their
babies in dad's mouth. So far I just found one baby swimming in the corner of
my tank. It's probably around 1/8" across in size. Should I remove the baby or should I leave it in the tank. I have a yellow tang, a Juv. hippo, a mandarin,and a pink spotted goby, and of course a pair of cardinal bangai.
I'm thinking to remove the baby to my fuge, but I don't want to stress the little guy. Any advice? Thanks.

Yes, I just did the styrofoam with toothpicks thing & put it in the corner of my tank. I saw the adult bangai chase the baby twice. I'm not sure if he wants to eat the baby or to make the baby goes into his mouth.
I'm worried about my pink spotted goby, since he's pretty big & he can gulp
a big chunk of food.
BTW, I just found 2 babies now. I'm reading as much as I can on RC about this subject, so far I haven't found any details on how to raise the babies.
So anyone has anymore suggestions or advice?

Feed baby brine shrimp to the tank if the Bengai are very small. Looks like these are at least a week old if they are that big. You probably can feed them on Cyclopeze now, they love them. We went nuts catching our first two batchs of young and the last 4-es 4-5 have gone natural in the tank. We find them in the overflow or down in the fuge and then move them to the frag tank. We must have a school of 12-16 that come out at night when the Tunze slow down.

So you just let the babies stay in your main tank then? I just find one swimming in between my LT plate. I'm so tempted to move them to my fuge so I don't have to worry about them being eaten by other fish. I'll do more reading tomorrow & will try to decide then.
I'll feed them cyclopeeze tonight.

if you want to keep them.
move them to the fuge.
if you don't, sooner or later thay will get killed.

I've raised many a baby in my fuge. The trick is to get them live food of all sizes. When the are new born/ released they will hit larger pods and mysis but can't eat them. Your refuge is perfect because there are pods of all sizes for their different growth stages (and presumably no predators). The most I've ever successfully netted and raised in my refuge (a 55) was 14 and let me tell you they will wipe out your pod and mysis population real quick once they hit about 1 month.

Good luck
and congrats
-Marc-

The two in my main tank were no where to be found the next day :(
I did see them the following morning but had no time to scoop them up since I had to go to work, by the time I got back from work, I couldn't find them.
But I found one baby in my fuge, and I fed rotifers twice a day.
He came out from hiding & started eating everytime he saw rotifers. But after a couple of days, I never saw him again even when I dump rotifers.
I want to be ready for the next batch and I will move the babies to my fuge as soon as I see them. How many times per day do you have to feed the babies? I'm wondering if the one in the fuge died because lack of food, although there are pods in my fuge as well.

Back