Help Dialing In Calcium Reactor

ioreefer45

Non-member
Can someone explain to me how to dial in a calcium reactor? I just got everything setup and water flowing through. Here are the parameters:

Tank Parameters:
PH: 8.2
ALK: 9.5
Ca: 430

Calcium Reactor (gravity fed water):
Bubble Count: 85 bb/min
Effluent Flow: 473ml/min --(16oz/min)
Effluent Alk: 9.5 (same as tank)

Because of the high flow rate vs drip, should I be increasing the bubble count? What effluent alk/ph should I be expecting? Is it better to drip vs steady stream flow?

Thanks..

Alex

I would recommend putting a small MJ1200 or MJ900 to feed the reactor instead of gravity fed.
Your effluent alk should be higher than your tank.

Effluent Flow Rate

Ok. I was thinking about putting in a pump to feed it eventually-- most likely the maxi-jet 900. But how much flow is everyone getting through their reactors and what bubble count? My flow is at 473ml/min or 16oz/min as I measured in a cup. Is that too fast for the CO2 to mix properly in the reactor?

my bubble count is about 45/min and a broken seam drip from the effluent. I dont recall the alk & ca of the effluent but I know it's a lot higher than what the tank is at.
It's been working for me for over a year.

Your flow is way too high, try 50-60 ml/min. ( fast drip to a broken stream).
It will take a while & some experimenting to dial it in, just be patient, & wait at least 24 hours everytime you retest to see the difference.
I would start out with 60 to 80 bubbles a min & the flow I stated above. If your effluent alk is still low after a couple days, ( which it probably wont) either go up on the bubble count, or down a little on the flow. I have been in your shoes, & this is the correct formula for adjusting the reactor.
Once you get the alk right in your tank ( around 8.5 to 10) check your calcium. If its low, dose turbo calcium , carefully, to bring it up over 400ppm.
After that , as long as your alk stays stable, the cal should stay close as well.
If your tank has a high calcium demand (heavy SPS) you may need to use Kalkwasser in your top off water, which also keeps the PH & alk up.
Good luck, Matt

Oh, & use a MJ to feed it.
I just test the tank alk & cal instead of both effluent & tank water, once its dialed in you will be happy....

Ok. Getting the hang of it now. I throttled back the flow (it was wide open initially) to about 60ml/min --steady drip to broken stream and have the bubble count at 65bb/min. I will measure the effluent and tank tomorrow to see where things are at. Thanks for all the assistance and wisdom guys.

yeah, you have to be patient with ca-reactor. I didnt have mine dialed in until a month later. Make small adjustment at a time and measure it the next day. it takes awhile for the new settting to settle.

Back