Help dialing in tunze nano skimmer

cjburden

Non-member
I did search. I found plenty of threads on it but nothing specifically about dialing the skimmer in.

I can't get this thing to skim properly. Break in period is over as this has been running for at least a month at this point, only once did it pull out any gunk. Just clear water ever since. Tank is a 12g with 70watt HQI. I modified one of the rear chambers in the back to allow me to put the skimmer in. My understanding is that it needs to break in for a couple weeks and that the water level should be right around the bottom of the visible part of the tube, is this what everyone has had success with?

Mine is a newer model and came with the little water level indicator on the side, which is exactly where the water level in the tank is, and stays due to my auto top off system. I've adjusted that a little bit here and there with no success, and I can get the bubbles to rise and fall with adjustment of the screw so thats what I've been trying to focus on.

a little info on my tank
Barebottom tank chock full of rock and a bunch of coral in addition to the 2 clowns that are in there. 2 frags of zoas, about 20 total, couple ricordia, bunch of green slimer and blue mille, a piece of montipora cap, and a monti sp.
IMG_1624.jpg

having a little algae outbreak due to my being stupid and having to use conditioned tap water in a pinch :rolleyes:

IMO this was the hardest skimmer for me to dial in.

First make sure your air line has no pinches or sharp bends I found this to be a common problem. Also make sure the motor is clean and is spinning at full blast mine tended to hang up every now and then and required cleaning since they don't have much power.

Go SMALL on adjustments, 1/2 turn should be plenty,and wait 24 hours before you adjust again. Once dialed in they work like a champ just take your time and don't over compensate, when in doubt start from the begining. Or ask Roger on RC for his input.

When I called Tunze a month ago he told me that they are now tell people to turn the screw all the way to the closed position and then turn it 3 full turns to the open position +/- a half of a turn each way after a few days.He also said it should look like Tea in a few days.

One last thing which I didn't know was he also told me to keep my hands out of the tank till I dial it in because the oil from the skin can throw the skimmer off.

Some of the top plates where the screw goes into are bad(too big). My buddy pm'd roger over @ rc and he sent him a new top plate. Now his skimmer works fine. I had one but never had any issues. hope this helps.

Ill check out the line to make sure its fine but iirc it looked alright when I opened it up. Ill try shutting all the way off and then turning it 3 times. If all else fails I'll contact Roger at RC.

Thanks for the help, ill keep ya posted.

Back