Help! Did I place my LPS too high?

chadfish

BRS Member
I am new to coral. I thought the my new Trumpet would be cool center-tank so I superglued him to a big piece of shelf rock.

Now I think he’s too high up. He is about 7”-8” underwater in a 40g breeder.

How do I un-superglue him? I want to put him nearer to the bottom on a rock where he will be happier

I have pretty powerful lights that sit right on top of the tank, 2” above the water. Hanging from ceiling is not really an option.
lighting:
Orbit Pro 36 inch LED- used to ramp up and down
BeamsWork Quad LED 36 inch with 40x3watt whites and 12x3W antinic.
image.jpg

I am new to coral. I thought the my new Trumpet would be cool center-tank so I superglued him to a big piece of shelf rock.

Now I think he’s too high up. He is about 7”-8” underwater in a 40g breeder.

How do I un-superglue him? I want to put him nearer to the bottom on a rock where he will be happier

I have pretty powerful lights that sit right on top of the tank, 2” above the water. Hanging from ceiling is not really an option.
lighting:
Orbit Pro 36 inch LED- used to ramp up and down
BeamsWork Quad LED 36 inch with 40x3watt whites and 12x3W antinic.
View attachment 156330
Grab it at the base and rock it back and forth, should come right off.

LPS are unhappy if being blasted by too much flow too. Any chance it is that? Have the polyps expanded less? If so, and your flow is high there- then that may be the culprit or water quality too... what type of system was that trumpet in before you got it? High or low nutrients?

LPS are unhappy if being blasted by too much flow too. Any chance it is that? Have the polyps expanded less? If so, and your flow is high there- then that may be the culprit or water quality too... what type of system was that trumpet in before you got it? High or low nutrients?
One of the three polyps hasn't opened, and one seems to be loosing some color - and that's what I'm most worried about. I'm going to ease my lighting acclimation back.
Thanks for the help

^^^what he said^^

IME trumpets love nutrient rich water, polyp extension usually happens at night. it can happen in the day by cleaning the glass or feeding the fish. if you have low nutrients you should supplement. its best to feed at night

^^^what he said^^

IME trumpets love nutrient rich water, polyp extension usually happens at night. it can happen in the day by cleaning the glass or feeding the fish. if you have low nutrients you should supplement. its best to feed at night
He’s looking a bit less green, more pale in spots. I just lost a small fish so nitrates may be climbing up to 10ppm. I’ll export some later this morning.
image.jpg

You can blast those with light. They puff up more if you keep them in higher lighting. Check your parameters maybe to clean they don’t like clean water.

How long has the tank been setup? What are your test results?
Hey Paul, pretty new tank, been cycled and keeping fish for 5 months. NO3= 5-10ppm, phosphate low, but need a Hannah to know for sure, Alk = 8, salinity=1.024.
Pretty stable at this point. Run fuge lights at night, chaeto keeping parameters low and stable. I’ve had a happy BTA for about a month, so figured if I can keep him, I can keep some softies.
Just upgraded from 2 jebao pp-4 to sow-8 because the SOW-4s were too directional and relatively wimpy, but struggling with the 8’s which seem to create too much flow.
Just added my first corals, a leather, some Zoas, and this Trumpet, all small frags.
Mostly concerned about flow and lighting.

If it’s new to the tank just give it a few days to adjust. Corals don’t open to maximum size until a few days after adding them.

Back