Help for Ryans Tank

NateHanson

Non-member
I'm on call for Ryan Kitchen's tanks this week, and I just got a call from Chris (agent####) who is taking care of the tanks.

It seems that the T4 pump running his 50g frag tank froze up sometime early today or yesterday, and when Chris got there today the temp was over 90 degrees and the corals were mostly dead. Sounds like Chris did a great job patching things up before he had to run off to class.

I've never used a T4 (or any external-only pump), so I'm looking for advice on what typically goes wrong with these pumps, and whether it's likely fixable without parts. I can't head down until the morning, but I'll try to get it running then.

Also wondering if anyone's got a spare t4 or similarly sized and plumbed pump that they would like to lend to Ryan's tank for the rest of the week in case the pump can't be repaired immediately.

Thanks all,
Nate

Last edited:
Scott, if your reading this I have my T3 in Watertown collecting dust at the moment if you need a pump to help Ryan out short term. I can get it to Somerville quick.

That's my best guess having not seen the pump yet. Are these pumps magnetically driven, or do they have a sealed shaft?

I am not sure. A search on RC will turn up many posts on the subject. Most think it has to do with the titanium shafts and heat causing them to build up deposits much quicker. Trade off for quiet opperation I guess. Nuno just had an issue where when he shut his t4 off it didn't want to start back up due to calcium, if I recall correctly.

wow that stinks. but i'd think that if the pump stopped working, most likely the tank temperature would go down, not up :confused:

Yeah, that was my thought too. (Keep in mind I haven't seen the tank myself yet). It seems that since the water in the sump was no longer being circulated through the tank, the remaining water didn't have the capacity to absorb the heat from the lights during the day. Also the movement through the sump probably caused a fair amount of evaporative cooling.

2x250 in a canopy on a 50 gallon breeder......I see the temp going up on that

dedfish said:
Nuno just had an issue where when he shut his t4 off it didn't want to start back up due to calcium, if I recall correctly.

Yes, that's exactly what happened with my T4, calcium buildup inside the pump... I removed it with a vinegar bath and it's working fine now.

Nuno

scott here,
we need to start a frag collection.

i'll start with 2 colonies..... :( anyone else have stuff they would like to donate to the crashed ryan tank fund?
If we can get enough frags, I'll set up the 65g for him. kind of as a sorry your tank crashed but everyone helped out and got you back on your feet.......

How'd things go there Scott? Got the 50 back up and running? How much of his stuff was still in the 50? Had he moved things into the 72 yet?

Nate

Man that sucks. So is everything lost?....and I thought my tort would be safe from Scott....(Thinking to myself at least it is safe in Ryan's tank) My tort :( ! I'd be happy to contribute but I don't have much left.

all his prized frags.......gone. leathers melted, i brought a pump over so the tank now has flow. the pump is frozen. calcium build up.
his 72 has montipora only.
50g is running but you can smell the RTN outside........
he's going to be crushed..
he JUST left...
he's back next sunday??? he was holding some stuff for me and a few others that didn't make it either.

so anyone with NEAQ, Larry Jacksons, Millis, Torts, or caps and can spare a small frag, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I think we really do need to get a keg and have a tank raising Party....

Back