Help, I don't know what to do - Lost everything

I think Wrassefan gave you the best advice. I would add an additional step: buy a 30 to 40 gallon brute gray garbage can, add freshly made sw with RO/DI. After you thoroughly scrub the LR, let it cook in garbage can for about 8 weeks. You should put a couple of powerheads in there as well so that you have a lot of flow. You'll want to do a water change about midway through. I know this sounds like a lot of work but it isn't. I did this once after a catastrophe and couldn't be more happy with the results.

Thanks for the info/advice everyone. Looks like we're now in the market for a new tank as well. Twin 4 year olds apparently were playing catch with a Yankee Candle within the area of the tank and well.... enough said. Wish I had been home, locked the door, had my brother watch his children more closely, augh! So couple dozen gallons of water on the floor later and I wonder...is this a sign?! Progress is now severely delayed but such is life...prepare for the worst they say!
I'm contemplating a small cube at this point to make this easier.
Off to the equipment for sale section..
Thanks guys.

when it rains it pours. sorry to hear about your situation. on the up side, new tanks are always nice!

best advice I can give is to just keep looking forward. best of luck this time around.

geez, sorry to hear about that...it's every reefers nightmare. Stay with it, the pluses in this hobby usually outweigh the negatives (at least that's what I keep telling myself ;) )

Sorry to hear about the tank... You should make the twins pay for the new tank :p

Stick with it it'll be worth it in the long run (unless you keep inviting the twins over :eek:)

:) I will stick with it, it totally captivates me but lately it was one catastrophe after another, really disheartening. I'm almost greatful the livestock was wiped out before the kamikazee candle did the side of the tank in ;) My brother has offered to purchase a replacement tank, but I'd just feel better to not have the kids on this floor of the house when they visit.

It's always said to do it right the first time around and don't pinch pennies etc. but it's just severly depressing that in a matter of a week, my once beautiful little glimpse inside the coral reef is entirely gone. I never could have thought the fish, corals and tank too would be gone. I'm concerned that I don't have all the excess funds to put in what it needs. I'm still watching out for deals.

I do have my schnazzy 10g qt tank sitting all pretty... barebottom and boring as all hell. True though, startup with a new tank is pretty exciting, we'll see when that point comes. If you know of a tank deal that may or may not get posted, please let me know :) !!!

Thanks guys

keep watching the FS threads...something comes up pretty much every day....stick with this hobby, the good days outweigh the bad ones...

Sorry to hear about the tank. The only thing I could think of was a temperature spike. Not due to your equipment, but we had a heat wave last week and it got up to 90 degrees. If your house didn't have air conditioning going, the ambient temperature in your apartment might have gotten high enough to start a die off, which led to a chain reaction. But, if you were here during the heat wave, then maybe that wasn't it.

I was thinking that it was a temperature issue as well. Then the chain reaction was started...

Not sure where you shop (LFS) But if you are in Skipton's introduce yourself to me, and I will be glad to help you in any way we can.

I too suffered a MAJOR loss in my home tanks last week (mine was due to a loss of power for 34 hours) So I share in your pain.

The only silver lining is that I get to start over....I guess :confused:

Back