Help me...I'm melting!!!

wrassefan

Intentionally Left Blank
BRS Member
Candycane coral has been "melting" on the left side over the past few weeks. The rest of the colony is still polyping out. It was slightly shaded (about a third) under a ledge. Now the ledge is gone. Too much light perhaps? Should I just cut it off and "chuck it"??

Last edited:
I don't know much, but in a recent thread of mine about a green tree falling onto my torch coral...

Greg Hiller said:
All I can say is that if it starts to 'melt' cut off the melting parts.

When it propogated and spread in the past, it never looked like this. This colony started about a yr ago with 2 heads.

wrassefan said:
When it propogated and spread in the past, it never looked like this. This colony started about a yr ago with 2 heads.

I believe what you were seeing in the past was growth of the mother colony. What it's doing now is asexual reproduction. Where the flesh lands should turn into a daughter colony.

There's more than one way for some corals to propagate themselves. does this sound like whats happening:
"Coral polyp extrusion is a novel form of asexual reproduction in numerous taxa of corals. It is unusual in that the polyp tissue flows out of the corallite- eventually the connection to the parent colony is severed, creating a daughter colony."

I think Eric Borneman may have an answer for you if you want to post that pic over on RC in "the Coral Forum".

That's disgusting and I hope Congress holds an emergency session to outlaw it.
Propagation is between a coral and a coral! :p

And go blind too.

Wait a minute . . . Darren, it just occured to me that maybe you're due for some time in the confessional. ;)

ok now I got the cheesy 70's X-rated video music going in my head along with extruding polyps....it's too much I gotta get some sleep. ROLFL

Back