Help me pick a skimmer

So I need a new skimmer (maybe I am going to re meshmod mine and see if that helps it some) and can't decide which one I am going to get. It is up between the msx160 or the etss sumpbuddy 40. Both have pros and cons, ETSS is $200 while MSX is $300, ETSS should have the pump upgraded to a more powerful mag 7 or a 700gph pressure rated pump (I would thing would perform better). Also the MSX is meshwheel so that needs to be replaced every so often. Then there is the power draw of the MSX below 20watts and the ETSS of at least 50+ watts. And last the scfh draw on the MSX of around 50 and unknown on the ETSS. Also the size, MSX will take up most of the compartment while the ETSS will take up very little.

Thanks
Josh

Last edited:
Penguin, what size system is this skimmer going on? I do like etss skimmers but as you said, the power draw is of one concern. The other is that the msx will be easier to adjust and is a proven performer.

It's on a total of 40 gallons, but the bioload will be large. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the msx mainly because of how it performs, and from what I've seen of the etss it doesn't perform as well.

Back