Help on a Aqua Clear wet/dry filter

pjed99

I just bought a 180 and have no clue how to set up the wet dry filter! It inly had a Aqua Clear Aquatics sticker on the side no type name just a company! Does anyone know where I can find directions? My tank is drilled but I cant figure outwhere all the tubes go and where to stick the filter media! It has bioballs but I have no clue! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

There should be three chambers. The first is a tall thin chamber that has a hole drilled into it and a 90degree elbow pointed up. Hook up the outflow from your tank to that. Also in the first chamber is a space for the built in protein skimmer/pump. In the second chamber, you need to first lay down the white eggcrate (the plastic checkerboard of 1cmx1cm squares). Once in place, stack the bioballs on top until full. Now, there should be a white plastic sheet with blue sides. Put that on the second tier and put the mesh filters on top. Add the cover to the second chamber. The third chamber is for a return pump.

With all that said, my recommendation is not to add the bioballs/mesh, especially if you are ever going to get into corals. It will serve as a nitrate factory and you will forever be struggling with water parameters. I wound up gutting mine and using it as a sump for a euroreef and pump for a calcium reactor.

I STRONGLY recommend that if you don't know exactly what you are doing with this setup by asking more people here! I set up my 90g without much of a clue and going on some bad advice and I regret the way that it is done (too late to fix once running). With a 180, a year from now you don't want to find out all the set up tricks. I'm sure that if you entice some people with free beer and pizza they would be glad to help you out!

Good luck!!!

Eric

Eric thanks so much for all your imput! Hey I know this is mostly a saltwater site but I'm using it for freshwater for my redtail cat. Should I use the bioballs with the fresh water? Thanks again

pjed99 said:
Eric thanks so much for all your imput! Hey I know this is mostly a saltwater site but I'm using it for freshwater for my redtail cat. Should I use the bioballs with the fresh water? Thanks again

for freshwater you should use the bioballs.

is the tank a reef ready or just drilled for overflows? the water should drain out of the tank , then over the bioballs finaly to the submersable pump back to the tank.

Back