Help ! Reward Offered !

Rick M

Milton
OK, so maybe the new Chromis were just not a healthy lot. Maybe that is why one disapperaed each night for 4 straight nights.
Wrong....
Tonight I saw Sally Light Foot eating the remains of my (formally)perfectly healthy and happy medium sized Yellow Tang.:(:(
I've tried trapping it a while back, after hearing their reputation. But I was unsuccessful, so I gave up, besides she wasn't hurting anyone...yet....
Now I have a real problem. I need help. Any suggestions? :confused::confused: I've serious about the reward......
Thanks, Rick

Last edited:
Take a chopstick. Tightly tape a pin to the end of it. Turn off the light, weigh down a shrimp to a rock and let it sit at the bottom of your tank. Then, wait.

Spear the sucker and call it a night.

Other people will suggest using a trap and so forth but the hunt is much more satisfying.

thats quite an appetite for 1 crab, I am sure you have checked your parameters. a piece of shrimp in a small bowl with holes in it and a string?

I had the same prob with a emerald crab.... I could not catch the bugger. I eventually used a pair of long tweezers and snuck up on it when it only had a leg exposed from my rockscape... I grabbed on to it and ripped it the heck out...... I hope this helped!

Big appetite ?

Everybody has been very happy. I've been having to work to keep my alk up, but that mostly affects some of the coral, although that has been going well lately too. All other parameters good, and everyone is happy, healthy and eating. Tank is about 15 months old.
The first chromis that died was found on the overflow, with what looked like a very small chunk taken out near the dorsal fin. The second I found swimming in tight spiralling circles first thing in the morning.
Explain your tactic further, string/shrimp/bowl.

Take a chopstick. Tightly tape a pin to the end of it. Turn off the light, weigh down a shrimp to a rock and let it sit at the bottom of your tank. Then, wait.

Spear the sucker and call it a night.

Other people will suggest using a trap and so forth but the hunt is much more satisfying.

Yes the hunt is the way to go . I used a small hook with a bit of line and a shrimp.

that water bottle trap that that 12 year old showed on youtube would work well for a crab. or if he is too crafty for that try my design. just with mine you have to make a lot of holes for water to pass though in order to have it closed quickly. i used suction cups to hold it to the glass. when the critter goes in the hole near the top of the body of the bottle, pull the string and block the hole.

Attachments

• fish trap.JPG
    fish trap.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 220
Hunting

Coralcor,

You can collect the reward when Sally is out of the tank, or really dead!
I'm not a gun owner, so you will have to come over. I'm pretty sure the tank bottom is made of tempered glass, so we're ok there....

Coralcor,

You can collect the reward when Sally is out of the tank, or really dead!
I'm not a gun owner, so you will have to come over. I'm pretty sure the tank bottom is made of tempered glass, so we're ok there....

OMW. should i brink the nuke too?

What is disappointing about that youtube trap video is that in no way does he incorporate that model rocket into the fish trap.

Everybody has been very happy. I've been having to work to keep my alk up, but that mostly affects some of the coral, although that has been going well lately too. All other parameters good, and everyone is happy, healthy and eating. Tank is about 15 months old.
The first chromis that died was found on the overflow, with what looked like a very small chunk taken out near the dorsal fin. The second I found swimming in tight spiralling circles first thing in the morning.
Explain your tactic further, string/shrimp/bowl.

I thought they where all eaten, not found as almost whole.....
If you take a small bowl put a lot of hole in it so water can flow thru it easily, and weight it with some rubble rock or something, with a shrimp attached securely to the rock or weight, try to have some depth to prevent escape, tie some fishing line or string to the top of the bowl, when the crab goes for the shrimp, you just pull him up. If you know where he is place the container close to his hide out.
Good Luck, this worked great for me for 2 hitchhiker crabs.

Nuke ?

Hell ya, bring whatever you have!
Your reward is going to be whatever you can pick up off the floor and get into a bag really fast.
I'll be picking things up and throwing them into my sump in the basement. It will be like that old TV show supermarket swap or ...something or other.
Wait let me think, for this to work I'll have turn over the return pump so I don't pump the sump dry. Then I'll have to send the wife and kids out for a while. Get the mop ready...
Will the nuke evaporate all the water on the floor? That would be great...

Hell ya, bring whatever you have!
Your reward is going to be whatever you can pick up off the floor and get into a bag really fast.
I'll be picking things up and throwing them into my sump in the basement. It will be like that old TV show supermarket swap or ...something or other.
Wait let me think, for this to work I'll have turn over the return pump so I don't pump the sump dry. Then I'll have to send the wife and kids out for a while. Get the mop ready...
Will the nuke evaporate all the water on the floor? That would be great...

:D omg thats so friggen funny! omg :: im not coughing to death yet omg

i suppose i could set up the mini sub and set up the mini rockets..
i guess thats a good enough reword

wow im still laphing.

After I catch him?

After I catch her (Provided the nuke doesn't work) what should I do with her?
Maybe put her in the sump, and watch her eat a little detritice(sp?)...

Oh, wait, I'll probably have nightmares where he crawls out and comes up stairs and eats me...

Back