Help with my corner flow max flo rate

nicks387

Non-member
So I got in my new marineland 300 gal and I have a problem already. The corner flows are only rated for 700 gallons each so 1400 gph total.
The problem is that the pump I have is rated at 3600 gph and pressure rated. Its a Reeflo blackfin 3600 and its under the tank so it wont be losing much flow to head pressure, I want the flow this pump provides but now I dont think I can use it. Anyone have any suggestions? I really dont want to add a hang on overflow box to this tank.

Time for a basement sump.
And you can run another tank off that flow.
Any way to return it for something smaller?

How many watts is that pump? I look at something like a GenX 40 to use as a return pump if its going to be under the stand.

If you keep that pump use it to feed everything, CA Reactor, Carbon Reactor, GFO Reactor or Zeo Reactor, and then have a ball vavle to crank it back.

+1 on the basement sump, if that is an option.

How many watts is that pump? I look at something like a GenX 40 to use as a return pump if its going to be under the stand.

If you keep that pump use it to feed everything, CA Reactor, Carbon Reactor, GFO Reactor or Zeo Reactor, and then have a ball vavle to crank it back.

+1 on the basement sump, if that is an option.

I run a GenX 40 for my return for the basement sump.Although it's a workhorse and is pretty good on power consumption it is a little loud,Barry.I don't think I would want that under my tank in the stand.

I run a GenX 40 for my return for the basement sump.Although it's a workhorse and is pretty good on power consumption it is a little loud,Barry.I don't think I would want that under my tank in the stand.

I have one in the basement also....I didn't think about noise:eek:, I was only thinking about flow rate:eek:. Scrap my suggestion...

Tank is in the basement and I dont want a new pump, I want to figure out a way to use this one to use the high flow it provides.

Tank is in the basement and I dont want a new pump, I want to figure out a way to use this one to use the high flow it provides.

Drill a few more holes maybe.
It would be a super closed system.
I can't figure why you would want over 10 times turnover through a sump.
Power heads are much cheaper to run.

Drill a few more holes maybe.
It would be a super closed system.
I can't figure why you would want over 10 times turnover through a sump.
Power heads are much cheaper to run.

Because I already have this pump, and the sump is 120 gallons so the flow going through it will not be a problem and I want it to go through penductors to add to the flow of the powerheads I already have. This pumps max wattage is 290 which isn't bad for the flow it produces and at three feet below the tank it wont be much less flow than a closed loop minus drilling my new tank.

With that much water flowing past your skimmer it won't be that effective.

Short of drilling your new tank I don't see how you could use that pump through the drains as pseudo closed loop.

With a centrifical pump like this, you can throttle it back substantially and it won't hurt the pump, AND will actually use less electricity.

I'd do as Miller suggested, use it to feed all your accessory equipment, and use a ball or gate valve to throttle back the line(s) to the display.

I will call Reeflo Monday and see if your right Jimmy (about it using less electricity) otherwise it wont really be worth throttling it back if it costs me the same. If not then I will do that.

I will call Reeflo Monday and see if your right Jimmy (about it using less electricity) otherwise it wont really be worth throttling it back if it costs me the same. If not then I will do that.

It will use less electricity throttled back, but at 290 watts it might not cut back enough to be worth using. You should be able to find a pump around 100 watts that will work for your return. I doubt throttling back will get close to that.

I spoke with Chris at Reeflo who is going to swap this one out for an 1800. Thanks for all your help
Nick

I spoke with Chris at Reeflo who is going to swap this one out for an 1800. Thanks for all your help
Nick

best choice you could have made. All of those super high output reeflow pumps are generally used for closed loop systems, and not usually a return pump because it's simply not economical to have a return pushing that much water...

reeflo

I have the reeflo snapper under the stand and its fairly quiet.
I called reeflo and they said the blackfins are the same noise level as my snapper.
I just replaced my seals on it (2 years old) for free.still has another year on warrenty.whats better than that!!

I have a barracuda hooked up to a 300 gallon aquarium that I have three returns to, also its t'd off feeding a skimmer, t'd again feeding a phosphate reactor that same line feeding sensors and another t to relieve pressure which will someday feed a refugium. The pump is still throttled back. I would have gone with a smaller pump if I did it again. And jimmy is right if I remember correctly (about using less wattage)

Back