Help With Noise

Corwyn

I am in Raynham
Hi Group,

I installed one of these $15 overflows this weekend
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=503664&perpage=25&highlight=$15%20overflow&pagenumber=2

and the thing is loud and sucks a lot of air. I checked the joints and all seem to be glued tight. I've even put a cap on the top and it's still loud.

My other noise maker is a 2" pipe that is a straight drop drilled through the bottom of the tank. The top has a shower drain and it just overflows straight down to the basement into the rubbermaid.

It sounds like a toilet running. Any ideas - I was thinking of installine a trap on this one - to cut the noise?

Corwyn

if this overflow is made out of PVC piping...this might be the reason for the loud noise. PVC will basically become a blowhorn if you have too much length to it. It vibrates and resonates :(

Personally, I would replace some of the hose with soft hoses instead of straight PVC

this is also why when you buy an external overflow, they will usually come with ribbed, softer tubing...pvc is good for shorter sections. Your talking about going from 1st floor to basement it is acting exactly like a toilet (they usually run HUGE 4-5inch PVC pipes down from your toilet to your exit)

We go down to the basement and with the durso (actually ours is a stockman) standpipe it is nearly silent. I don't think the pvc will be a problem. You just need to get the air flow restricted to the point that there is air going down. but not enough to gurgle.

ok, if it works with her, then cool. just remember, im not making this up...you can basically make an airhorn out of pvc :) but it is usually when your trying to push or suck water up it, not just let it run down it...

Last edited:
They make great digerydoos too :) but a lamanar type flow just doesn't make much noise. It is tough to get right though and flexable pvc will cut down on the noise if it isn't right.

(i should mention that I'm standing next to a very loud tank because i've been too buisy(lazy) to fix a clogged standpipe)

I know about the durso and stockman, but I didn't think that you could do them
without an overflow box.

My 2" pipe comes straight up from the bottom of the tank inside the tank there is no overflow box. If I put a stockman type setup on it, won't it oveflow?

C

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back