Help with nopox dosing and nutrient balance

Intheflesh

Non-member
I have been dosing a DIY "NOPOX" solution for over a year now (Vinegar and vodka mix). The primary purpose in the beginning was to combat a cyano break out that just wouldn't go away. This cleared up my problem in a few weeks after battling for months.

Fast forward to now. My corals are kind of pale, which I attributed to low nutrients. I did an ATI ICP test last month, and phosphates level was .03 µg/l and nitrate .01 µg/l .

I started feeding a little heavier, and cut back on nopox dosing (5-6 mls daily to 2-3 mls daily for a RSR350) in an attempt to increase nitrates. Over the last few weeks, I've been getting hair algae. I measured phosphate at .08 ppm, and nitrates were 0 (using Red Sea tests at home).

What's my best course of action for bumping nitrates and controlling the phosphates? My first thought is to cut back on the NOPOX even more maybe 1-2 mls, and running GFO in conjunction.

Last edited:
I agree with your plan. However, before doing that, it would be good to get control over the hair algae first while it is still minimal. Nutrient reduction alone probably wont get rid of it, but a bunch of emerald crabs and large snails might do the trick.

Back