Help!

tja21

Resident Crazy Person
Ok, so I was told that I would get more attention, and thus help, if I started a new thread with my question/concern. So, there seems to be an outbreak of Cyano bacteria in our tank. I have absolutely no idea what to do, and everywhere I've looked has been of no help, because, truthfully, I don't understand a word they're saying.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if people could give me advice on how to deal with the situation in such a way that I can relay it back to my father (who takes care of the tank) so that we'll both understand.

Here's a pic for reference. Pretty sure it's Cyano, but just in case... This is the only spot it's had an outbreak in, so far, but I don't doubt it will spread.
Also, is this stuff deadly, or just a nuisance? I'm getting mixed messages on this, and I just want to clear it up.

tank1.jpg

It's just a nuisance, and is often something that will come and go in a newly started tank. It can also be a sign of water quality problems, so good to make sure that you're only using RODI water, and that the unit is operating properly (TDS reading of less than 5 is good - that's Total Dissolved Solids, a measure of water purity).

Sometimes increasing flow will help fight cyano, or a fighting conch might be a good addition to groom the sand. Otherwise you'll just have to wait it out. It'll pass.

Nate

All right. I just explained that to my Dad. I think he understood... LoL. Anyway, thanks! Can't tell you how much of a relief it is to know that it's not deadly. I would have felt bad, and so would my parents! LoL.

Looks like cyanobacteria. It's also called "red slime algae" but it's not an algae.
The stuff seems to thrive in areas of low flow.
Cyanobacteria is really hardy - it can start in a long established tank with seemingly no cause. It's more often seen in new tanks, though.
There are some antibiotic medications you can use, like Ultralife's "Red Slime Remover." This stuff works and is generally reef safe. Red slime in new tanks is probably a temporary condition. Left alone, in a month or so, a new tank will run through the cyano.
The stuff might be toxic to some snails or hermits. I've never run into the problem, though.
Some folks hold that a change in the color of the light as the bulb ages can contribute to cyano. Maybe a change of your bulbs would help. I'm not so sure about that remedy, though.
Increased flow in that area would help.
Make sure the protein skimmer is working properly: does it need a cleaning?

Two kinds of control:

Queen conch or
Chemi-clean

I would try treating your tank with red slime remover when my tank was getting established I treated with it many times it works grate and is reef safe.

Dong, you hit that one right on the head. I've got a fighting conch that has polished my Southdown whiter than fresh out of the bag. I'm actually a little nervous he might be hungry. I would -strongly- recommend this type of invert for anyone with slime or sheet algae....!!

My queen conch is rotating amount all my tanks so that it won't get hungry. So far it is growing really big. Now it is living in my 90 gallon.

Urgh. It's starting to grow upwards now. :shudder: If I wasn't afraid I'd completely ruin the tank, I'd take it upon myself to do a water change and try to suck up some of the stuff while my Dad's at work... But as it is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. LoL.

It's uuuuugly.

Try Chemi-clean then. for $8 a pop, you can treat 300 gallon of water.

Red Slime Remover from Ultralife will work just as well.
If your local fish store has one of these two products, you're good to go.

I agree with the chemi-clean just make sure you read the directions with the water changes,and you have to turn your skimmer off or it will foam over.Its no big deal don't panic I think it happens with the change in seasons thats when i get it every year

how old is this tank? size, lighting and other specs? RODI or tap? I wouldn't use any chemicals if it is a new tank....usually it is due to lack of skimming, flow, lighting shift due to old bulbs or tap water with high nutrients. Fix the problem not just cure the symptoms.

i don't believe in the chemicals to get rid of the red algae. i was told not enough nutrient export was general reason this stuff shows up, and not enough oxygen in the water. it likes low flow i was told as well. i use RODI water, so it was probably, er, uh, overfeeding, and it being a relatively new tank.

to rid my 12 of a HUGE outbreak of the red slime algae i increased surface agitation (redirected an output valve to be half out of the water) to increase the oxygen in the water (i don't know, seem like it would, and i recall that being a way of getting o2 in the water), and had another pump actually blowing some air into the water (since it was partially out of the water it grabbed air and h2o).

the algae went away and has yet to resurface (i periodically have the pump blow air into the water just for kicks, or if the water level gets too low it happens automatically).

i also sucked out the red algae with airline tubing after loosening it from whatever it was sticking to.

i have some on a newer 21 gallon on the gravel, like yours, and i'm just waiting to see what happens. it's in sort of a flow 'dead spot'. it's nowhere else in that tank. my other outbreaks in the the other two tanks were far, far worse.

I believe cyano is toxic to turbo snails, I could be remembering the wrong type of algae though. I also agree with holding off on chemicals because it will likely just come back. I would try increasing flow or changing water flow patters, do some water changes to lower nutrient levels and syphon out what you can with the water changes (make sure RODI has low TDS as stated above), cut back on feeding if you are over feeding your tank, and adjust your skimmer if you are not getting 4-8 ounces of dark skimmate a day. I would try to solve the problem and not just treat chemically.

If you do use this stuff, just keep in mind, it lowers the O2 concentration in the water. Warmer water holds even less O2......

use the red slime remover. It is fast and in the instances where I used it there were no ill effects and it works fast - 2-3 days it will be gone.

Back