Heniochus Butterfly Behavior

Paula

I'm still around . ..
I recently made some changes to my fish population and added 2 baby and 1 very small Heniochus Butterfly (Heniochus acuminatus). They are eating and schooling and doing very well. I have even noticed that the babies are cleaning the large angels - beautiful to watch.

BUT, last night I saw the baby butterflies RIPPING the polyps off the pink milli and munching away on them. From all that I had read about these fish before I bought them, I believed that they were planktavores and that they were reef-safe. I know that several of you out there have had these fish and I wondered if you had had the same experience. Do you think that if I keep them fed with other food they will leave my millis and other SPS alone?

They probably won't do enough harm to the corals to put them in jeopardy, but I would hate to have them retract their polyps in annoyance . . .

Any suggestions?

Paula,

There are two different Butterflies that look like the Heniochus. One is (supposedly) reef-safe and the other one isn't. I got one from Skiptons last week, Brendan helped me identify which one was it by looking at the pictures on the book. I think it's not Heniochus and it has another name. So far the one I got has not touched any corals but it's too early to tell.

I had a Heniochus a few months ago, never touched the SPS in my tank but thought my open brain was his breakfast, lunch and dinner no matter how much I fed the tank. I was sure and the LFS was sure that it was a Heniochus, but who knows, do they adopt the 'talents' of their close relatives at times?

Paula, as you know I have 2 XXL Heniochus' in my tank. I have had them for 2 years without even a hint of polyp eating. Perhaps the babies have taste for polyps and will outgrow this propensity for coral eating. Maybe you could try chopping up their food to a finer granularity just in the outside chance that their little mouths prefer little chunks of food? Or even trying cyclopeeze to help keep them away from the corals ?

Hi - Thanks for the replies. Yes Chuck, I remembered that you had them and was hoping that you would chime in on their behavior. I will look at them very closely tonight to see if they are the Heniochus diphreutes or the Heniochus acuminatus. I know they look similar. They are so cute and healthy - and I hope they lay off the polyps. I will try feeding them smaller bits of food. Luckily I don't have very many LPS - just a few - and I will certainly keep an eye on them!

Thanks.

Paula I just got Scott Michael's "Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes".

He says Heniochus diphreutes is one of the most suitable butterflyfishes for the reef aquarium. Heniochus acuminatus is not reef safe, according to him.

Back