Here is another grrr

If you can get the end off where the cord plugs in and get at the hot, neutral and ground wires you probably could fix it then fill in up with epoxy. I get place for electric supplies is You Do It Electronics in Needham. They have just about every electronic/electrical connector you'd ever want.

I may just try to repair this, I guess just to see if it can be done.

Getting the end with the cord open is going to require a dremel with a cutting disk, and some serious surgery. Who knows if trying to repair it will cause more damage.

If I do fix I will most certainly test it in my driveway away from any combustible materials, and plugged into a tested GFI outlet.

Electronic ballasts are normally sealed up like this.

Bummer Jenn. Like has been said, be thankful, really thankful.
(was it an electronic ballast?)

Thanks John, I most certainly am very thankfull.

It was an electronic ballast.

Yes, i was wondering why didn't your breaker trip? unless it's not a GFI breaker. i would not put my hand into a tank with water that is not plugged into a GFI protected circuitry.

Anyhow, if i were you, i would not bother fixing it, you are risking it. get a new one or buy used, but definately not reuse that ballast regardless what kind it is.

It is GFI protected, not really sure why it did not trip.

I agree, but I feel like I must try anyway. Call it a personal mission. I will prob not be able to do it, but hey why not give it a shot.

Are you implying that your post didn't get the response you thought it should? Maybe it was the time of day of your post..I mean it was what close to 1 in the afternoon? Most are at work...Geez I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful but chill out. Some of my posts don't get one response at all...Oh well..no biggie to me.

Anyway sorry about your flame..glad you were home and caught it.

Thank you! and you are right.

I am happy for your safety.Do not despair.
Please don't bother trying to repair it,chances are everything inside is toast or about to be and will fail again causing another potential fire risk.

Thanks, I am better today.

You just may be right, and it is toast.

Whew I think that got it.....

I will most certainly get to work on the smoke detector diy, because I feel it would be a great safety addition to our tanks. I mean really that much electricity so close to water, why have we not thought about it before.

Thanks you all so very very much for your kindness.

In what ever holiday you all celebrate I hope you have a great one!

Back