Hi, My Name is David & I Have Red Bugs....

Well there goes the theory that I lucked out. Guess I'm reading up on the eradication of these pest too.
Anyone have interceptor?

Attachments

• 2003_0304stuff30016 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0304stuff30016 (Custom).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 205
Well...Treatment 1 was done without a problem. It was somewhat satisfying to see the lil' buggers stuck in the slime of the acroporas. I was unable to fish out my porcelain crab, two green emeralds, and the HUGE coral banded shrimp.

Within 1/2 hour, hundreds of mysid were in convulsions and floating around my system like a snow storm. The red bugs, all the while, spazzing and running on the acropora started to just "Stop", remain still, and float off the coral in the slime. I used a power head one hour later to blow the slime and bugs off. Amazingly, a LOT of copepods and isopods remained unphased!!

My emerald crabs and the coral banded shrimp survived the first treatment. I still have no way of getting them out though. The tank is grown, corner to corner, and trying to get them out would cause major damage to corals. Honestly, the CBS who was once small and cute (2 years ago) is now a bohemeth and has taken a fish or two in the last couple months. If he bites the big one, I'll not shed a tear ;)

I did a big 20+ gallon water change last night. My acros are already showing more polyp extension now, than they have in the last 4 months. I'm not sorry for doing this treatment. I'm glad I planned it out the way I wanted to do it (offline fuges, catching crustaceons etc.) and am amazed (after the fact) at how easy and "un-scary" the whole process was.

Round two is this coming weekend. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Dave

Dave, yes I did get some interceptor and I've done the first treatment. Second will be tomorrow, I think, I need to make up some water.
Like you said it really wasn't that big of a deal. I lost some mysid, but the population is already easily visible in my fuge. I didn't do any special prep other than mix up water for a water change. I left all my shrimp and crabs in the tank. I didn't want to chance that some free floating mite could reenter the system. I suppose if you wait out the incubation period and then wait out the starvation time for any hatchlings, then return your critters to the system you'd be fine. But I'm not that patient. I didn't lose anything, I even saw my pom pom (boxing) crab last night. I think that you just need to be very careful with the amount of treatment used, and remember to deduct water volume for rock, sand, etc.

Darren,

I agree. I was amazed to see that NONE of my larger crustaceans had problems. I really love my pistol shrimp and hated the thought of losing it. Then again, it was just treatment number 1; there is still more punishment to be served.

Again, sorry that my frag brought this upon you. Nice "Welcome Back" eh? Keep us up to date with the treatments and results.

Dave

Back